Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASP, difficult?

• Please log in to reply

rulerm

rulerm

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello to you! I dont know ASP, at all. However, I do know HTML very well. Will ASP be difficult to learn?

Advertisements

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
HTML is a markup language meaning you are simply wrapping your content in tags to change the look of it, e.g: <b>Hello</b> as you probably know.

Now, ASP, C++, C#, Delphi, Basic, PERL etc. are programming languages , either procedural or Object-Orientated.

Now, in HTML you don't need to worry about syntax or using strict rules because it won't throw errors.

Let's take for example, some PHP coding which is a server-side programming language:
<?php
$first_name="John";
$last_name="Dorian";
if(!(!$first_name)){$name="".$first_name;}else{echo('No first name.');}
$name.=" ";
if(!(!$last_name)){$name.=$last_name;}else{echo('No last name.');
echo('Full name is'.$name);
}
?>

You can see that this is completely different to HTML and it is alot more structured. HTML doesn't really help you to start programming because of it's lack of syntax strictness, lack of functions/variables etc. and no object-orientated programming ability.

In Conclusion, I suggest you start with a simpler language like Javascript, Basic or PHP and then move on to a major one like C++, ASP etc.

Hope that helps.
-SW

Edited by ShogunWarrior, 23 June 2005 - 05:45 PM.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
To tell the truth, PHP, ASP, Javascript, and the like were all about the same difficulty for me to learn. My advice is don't learn ASP, its a joke. If you want to use Microsoft's scripting system, use ASP.Net. Learn C# or J#. These are the web API versions of C++ and Java respectively. This way, you'll be killing two stones with one bird by learning both a web and local programming language.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
How about Javascript or java Servlet? Is it worth learning. I know a little of C++ and C. But not Java?

I heard that Javascript or java Servlet is used a lot to do web pages with high security level? is it true?

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
nooo, javascript is very weak with security.

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Let me emphasize that: javascript is VERY VERY weak with security.
You can't do anything proper with it other than if(password=='secret_pass') and that is ridiculous.
-SW

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Java Server Pages, aka JSP by Sun Microsystems, isn't actually all that bad. Javascript is pretty bad on security but JSP can be VERY secure. Thats why alot of companies use it. Frankly to me, its useless to learn anything other than PHP. Its the industry standard and quite powerful in fact. ASP.Net is also good to know. ASP, JSP, and other languages are more just for experiments with them. Such as Google's web API is a cross between XML/SOAP, ASP.Net, and Python scripting languages.

Combination programs are quite powerful but are also harder to program, harder to maintain, less universitility, and more difficult to find a webhost.

I have a PHP, ASP.Net, JSP CMS that took me 3 months to find a host for. It works like a dream but its a pain to trouble shoot. I took it down and use my own flavor of CivicSpace/Drupal. Which is written in PHP.

DmitriB

DmitriB

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dont leart ASP. I would suggest Perl, because it happens to be my favorite. But most people like PHP because of how greatly it works with MySQL and for how nicley and how easy you can design the sites. Besides ASP isnt very popular with hosting plans unless you go w/ Windows hosting (I suggest you don't) I would go with Linux for security. You could also host your self with is somewhat difficult and cost a bit. So I think it wouold just be better to go with PHP (or Perl).

Hope this helps.
-Dmitri

Edited by DmitriB, 11 July 2005 - 12:23 PM.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
You still use Perl? Thats rare. CGI has started to get outdated and not many people use it anymore. Still, Perl is a great scripting language.

DmitriB

DmitriB

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yep right now I'm working on a Perl CMS called Zabotage . . . I'm in the middle of making skins and layouts. I'm making it for a company. That wanted something very secure so thats why it wont be very fancy.

-Dmitri

Advertisements

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok..sorry ..i meantioned Javascript...I misread the name...I mean Java Server Pages. By the way, i heard also that PHP is very easy yo learn. My friend that has no computer background learn it in 2 to 3 days to create a simple webpage.

By the way , what is ASP.Net . I know how to use Visual C++ 6 so i always found ASP.net mentioned a lot on Visual C++ forums. So are they both the same?

Currently, i am listening to opinions on which programming language to learn during my free time. What i want to learn is to learn how to design webpages with security features..

So any thoughts on it guys or gals :tazz:?

DmitriB

DmitriB

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'd go with PHP if you want to learn a flexiable yet safe language for the web.

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Definitely, I even managed to make an FTP thing today, hosted it on an external site and then used HTML file upload fields to transfer the files. That way, I could stop the proxy server from blocking FTP.

PHP is the way to go - free,flexible,powerful and with easy mySQL connectivity dynamic content can be done quite easily.

-SW

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Ok..sorry ..i meantioned Javascript...I misread the name...I mean Java Server Pages. By the way, i heard also that PHP is very easy yo learn. My friend that has no computer background learn it in 2 to 3 days to create a simple webpage.

By the way , what is ASP.Net . I know how to use Visual C++ 6 so i always found ASP.net mentioned a lot on Visual C++ forums. So are they both the same?

Currently, i am listening to opinions on which programming language to learn during my free time. What i want to learn is to learn how to design webpages with security features..

So any thoughts on it guys or gals :tazz:?

View Post

Visual C++ is the local version of the web based C#(C sharp) language used by ASP.Net. Their almost exactly alike only C# has better database integration than VC++.

For free time, go with PHP. Its easily one of the best. I like Coldfusion better than PHP but its expensive, difficult to learn, and all premade scripts are very expensive. Its more secure and faster than PHP, but not by a whole lot. None that a site that gets less than 100,000 unique visits per month would need. Go with PHP, anything else is just a waste of time.

zao

zao

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
At college I learned Perl and ASP, and I think ASP it is a farily easy language to pick up. Now PHP is the language to go for!! One it is very easy to learn, two to works great with MYSQL, and three it is free! :tazz:

Just to tell you how easy php is to learn, while I was taking the web programming class, I was in the process of setting up my webserver which was going to run on linux. After the class was over, I got linux and installed and I decided that I wanted a server-side language for my webserver and I heard about php, so after all the configuring, you know the process of setting up apachie with php and mysql, I went and got a php book at the local book store. I skimed though the book, looked at the scripts and try a couple examples of my websever, and like two weeks later I pretty much knew it. That is now easy it is to learn. You know what is funny tho, is that after I took the web programming class, next semister they droped perl and replaced it with PHP. ;)

So, if you still want to try and learn ASP, which will always help casue some times you might need it in the near furture, I would just go to the local book store get a book about ASP. Try a few scripts read up on it, you will pick it up pretty easy. Well I got to get goin now, got to feed my eel, he is at the top of the tank, wanting to know where his worms are at! LOL! ;)