Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Product Key or BIOS settings

• Please log in to reply

seanhav

seanhav

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I reformatted my comp a month ago using my aunts Windows XP Home Cd that was provided with her Dell. My time has ran out and I have to activate windows via the product key on her computer. Can I use her Product Key on her COA label on her Dell? I know if you buy XP at a bookstore u are licensed for two computers. I do have another XP cd but my computer is not booting from the CD Rom. It says booting from CD and the drive starts to spin but it goes to the Windows login screen. So im really stuck right now. Please help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is incorrect....you can not install windows on two computers. So you cannot use her product key and her cd on your computer....you were fortunate that it even loaded using a dell xp oem cd---sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

You actually could install office (earlier versions anyway) on a laptop and desktop for use, but not an OS

seanhav

seanhav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I must have been reading about office then...I was reading from a universities website after I googled about Reformatting XP..sorry about that...Well I do have my own version of XP on CD. But my computer wont boot from It and i have the CD Rom set as primary boot device. My computer just loads and goes into the Windows login screen. Could this be the CD or that I have my aunts windows installed? Like I was saying my comp says it booting from CD and the drive is spinning but it loads the windows login screen. So I cant even reformat right now. Any ideas whats wrong? Some background info too. The cd in my drive now is the original one i installed on my comp. I got bad spyware (bargain buddy from eXact advertising) and couldnt get rid of it after several attempts. So i used my aunts cd to reformat because i didnt have access to my original disc. Now i have the original disc but i have the problem described above.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Where did you get the original install cd from??

Is it an original or a copy made by you or someone else??

Murray

seanhav

seanhav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The CD is a copy.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello! If your copy of Windows is not a legitmate paid-for-by-you original CD, we cannot help you on this website. Thank you for your cooperation.