Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Question about anti-spyware programs...

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Okay...I've already got Microsoft AntiSpyware (the Beta1) installed on my computer, and it offers real-time protection, unlike most other free anti-spyware programs I've came across.

Thing is, I'd like to download SpywareBlaster too, only I don't know if I should or not. techsupportalert.com's 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities says that if I'm already using MS AntiSpyware, I shouldn't need Spyware Blaster, and that it is generally people who don't already have real-time protection on their PC who need it. So, taking this into mind, should I download SpywareBlaster or not even though I already have the Microsoft program? Another thing to note is that SpywareBlaster seems to provide protection for Mozilla Firefox as well, which I don't know whether or not MS AntiSpyware offers.

Also, there is another program out there called WinPatrol that seems to be pretty popular. What are its functions exactly? I tried downloading a copy of the software yesterday but oh my God - I didn't get anything it said at all. It gave me a list of the startup programs running on my computer, but said list was completely identical to the one generated from MS AntiSpyware's start-up list as well, and it didn't give me extra information - at least, I didn't find anything particularly useful on their website to help me figure out which startup programs ought to be axed. The other configuration options on WinPatrol were equally confusing. I uninstalled WinPatrol barely fifteen minutes into installing it.

Therefore, should I download WinPatrol for additional security or not? It seems to be a pretty useful piece of software, or at least other users seem to think so, because it alerts them to whenever some sort of spyware-ish behavior is taking place. But for me, I'm not extremely experienced in this sort of thing and if all WinPatrol can do is to ask me whether or not I'm gonna allow this or that to be done to my computer, I'm afraid it won't be very useful because how in the world am I going to know whether that is a valid function, or not?

And another question - I've got Sun's Java installed on my PC, and recently it has gone through two updates - the first one, an automated update, took place on the 22th of June and updated me to Version 2, and the second one, which I installed by myself from the Java website, updated me to Version 4. Everything went smoothly - the downloading, installation, running, except that now I seem to have three Java programs on the computer. It is stated very clearly in the Add or Remove Programs window:

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SEv1.4.2_05 (128.00MB)
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2 (143.00MB)
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4 (144.00MB)

This is the problem - if there really are those three gigantic programs installed on my PC now, and if I'm going to have to download even more of these updates each time Java comes up with an updated version, will it take up all my resources? Or should I manually uninstall each previous version whenever a new update is installed on my computer?

Edited by cassykins, 23 June 2005 - 07:14 PM.