Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Totally Fustrated

• Please log in to reply

wace9178

wace9178

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi there. I recently installed verizon dsl which went down after 1 day. they said there was a system wide problem in california. Tried to go back to dial up and started experiencing "explorer needs to close" errors. Network connections say "broadband connection disabled" Lan or Highspeed internet local area connection enabled, firewalled via rhine 2 fast ethernet ad....

Verizon said problem was taken care of and directed me to renew ip config got a socket error " An error occured while renewing interface local area connection! An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Lastely windows media player is now having problems playing dvd's i get sound but no picture. also getiing needs to close errors

i'm sure i need to attack these problems one at a time but don't know where to start. Is there any thing that you can do for me?

I tried to upload hijack from my other cpu on to a floopy but when i inserted the floppy in to my cpu nothing happened. not sure if the floppy drive is working this was the first time i used it.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
No wonder you're frustrated. You're right. You need to attack things one at a time. Do you have an internet connection? I reread your post several times and that was unclear. That needs to be the first thing you get straightened out.

The internet connection may be the reason you are not getting pictures on windows media player.

Your floppy drive may not be working.

Let me know the answer to the internet question and we'll start moving down the list. If it is not working, you need to call Verizon back if possible and get them to walk you through the process again.

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi. to answer your question, yes my dsl is ready but when i went to the ip config the wrong address was there and i was instructed to "renew" the ip config which gave me this error. "an error has occured while renewing interface local area connection! An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket". I was then instructed by verizon to contact microsoft for support.

Do you think i should unistall my dsl software and try reinstalling? or is there something else i should try?

And thank you for the quick response.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
If it was me, I would uninstall and then reinstall. But I'm no expert. Just someone who has made lots of mistakes and learned from them. From my experience with support help, that's usually the first thing they suggest. It couldnt' hurt. I would make sure I owuld clean out my discs afterward.

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm sorry, i don't know if i explained myself clearly. According to verizon my dsl connection is working but there some problem with my system. I do have an internet connection through aol but i can only access it on my other computers because my main computer cannot access either dial up or the dsl.

thanks

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
First run Winsockxp Fix

Next thing you have to do is go into your local area connection and right click on it. Click Tcp/ip , click properties. Make sure "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server automatically" are selected. Next click the "alternate configuration" tab and make sure "automatic private ip address" is selected. Run a cmd prompt and type

ipconfig /release <enter>
ipconfig /renew <enter>
ipconfig /all <enter>

you should have a new ip and everything should be fine. Let us know

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for the info on the winsockxp fix. I did recently remove New.net from the my computer and this may have caused the registry problem. Only thing is i can't access the internet from that computer(dial up also not working). Is there anyway to run winsockxp fix without the internet connection?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
yes, download it onto another pc. possibly the one u are using now and burn it onto a disk, or copy to floppy or anything you can do to put it on the broken pc. It is just one file.

-=jonnyrotten=-

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for the winsockxp fix. It did the trick and i'm back online. Hopefully this will make the rest of the fixes a little easier since i won't have to run back and forth. Thanks again.

Now i need some help with my windows media player i'm still only getting sound from my dvd's but no picture. Any ideas where to start?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try this, install.Windows Media Player 10 download it and reinstall over the top of what you have. This is the newest media player, version 10. Let me know what happens.

-=jonnyrotten=- :D <_<

Advertisements

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Downloaded windows media player 10. Still same problem sound but no picture.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try updating your video driver. Control panel, performance and maintenance, system, hardware tab, device manager, click on display adapters and right click the adapter that pops down and click update driver.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Done! said i have the latest drivers and still no change. Anything else i can try?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
This is rather strange.
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here is the log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:21:21 PM, on 9/24/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\VTTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\TrayMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Onscreen Display\OSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\nhksrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gearsec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Willie\My Documents\My Downloads\modules.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://cgi.verizon.n....0&bm=ho_search
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://cgi.verizon.n...=6.0&bm=ho_home
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon Online
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: myBar BHO - {0494D0D1-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll - {49B45CBC-D52A-4FAA-90FC-6630A1CC1F68} - C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: My &Search Bar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSS] c:\windows\system32\ossproxy.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD] C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Support Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\matcli.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {D06A22B4-6087-4D3D-B7AF-82B113E9ABD4} (CPostLaunch Object) - http://www2.verizon....es/vzWebIns.CAB