Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM, OverClocking...

• Please log in to reply

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I built my computer around thanksgiving and all i could afford was Corsair ValueRam *Yuck* and now i have the money to buy some good ram, but i am concerned with a few things. I am buying through newegg.com and they have several different details they list with their RAM, such as latency, registered/unbuffered, timing (4 different #'s), and voltage. I have an Intel D915GAV mobo with an LGA 775 3 Ghz Prescott w/ HT, and i am thinking of overclocking after i get the new RAM and a new HSF. I read the overclocking report someone did and it sort of helped. My mobo says it supports DDR400/333 MHZ DDR RAM, but if i am going to overclock, shouldnt i buy faster? Will it work if i do? Thanx. :tazz:

Also, what is the difference between DDR1 and 2? can i use either?

Edited by oldmantaggie, 23 June 2005 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Go to www.crucial.com and do a search there for your motherboard.. They will tell you exactly what you can use (including the specs)..

Also, if you buy from them, if the RAM doesn't work, you get your money back..guaranteed..

Murray

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Corsair valur ram isnt the worst but ddr2 works only on intel, i am also confused by the whole ddr to ddr2 thing amd say it makes no difference and intel say its great. As far as i know if you buy faster it will only go at the speed your mobo supports if it works at all get good ddr400 corsair xl or crucial ballistix is nice OCZ make nice ram that has some very very good overclocking features that invlove some kind of magic voltage thingy.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So if i buy ddr433 or something higher than ddr400 like my system wants, it will still work? will it be easier to overclock?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It might work but them again it might not work and because you havent put it in a supported motherboard it may void the warranty.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So what does the RAM timing, latency, and unbuffered/registered mean?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Read the pinned threads up top.

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
i don't really know what latency and timing mean, but unless you are using socket 940 for a motherboard (which you aren't because that's an AMD socket), you don't need registered RAM. Registered RAM is basically more expensive and was only made for socket 940 motherboards because it couldn't use unbuffered memory for one reason or another. As for RAM speeds, if you buy DDR433 RAM and put it in a DDR400 motherboard, it will only run at DDR400 speed. Although I don't advise doing that, just go for DDR400 RAM, it's cheaper anyways.

-spudZ :tazz:

gunite

gunite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you are a overclocker I prefer you to get ddr pc4000 and up because if you have normal 3200 running at 400mhz your windows wont start because the memory speeds are keeping it back. Even if the motherboard only supports 400mhz you can put faster speeds in because when you overclock your ram will also be overclocked so get the crucial one because they are cheap and work awesome!