Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Computer on a Budget

• Please log in to reply

superflyR8

superflyR8

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am looking for alot of help here guys, give me alot of advice but this is what I have come up with now for a pretty good computer I think.

Case and Power Supply: $89.99 newegg.com

Thermaltake Soprano VB1430BWS Black Steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply - Retail

I liked this case because I have heard they make great PSU and since the other cases I looked, I would have to buy a PSU this made my sence to me.

MotherBoard: $146 newegg.com

MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I went with this board because it MSI quality and its SLI can be used for the future. I know alot might tell me to get DFI, tell me why though? thanks

Graphic card: $172 newegg.com

MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Best card for the money and with the SLI board I can upgrade and get another in future.

CPU: $147 newegg.com

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail

Seems to be a very highly recommeded CPU.

Memory: $79.99 newegg.com

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail

HardDrive: $88.00 newegg.com

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JD 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

I might be able to find a hard drive cheaper some where else with a nice rebate but this is what I found to work with my budget so far.

CDRW/DVDRW: $45.99 newegg.com

NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BK - OEM

Total $768

Ok guys and girls, I need a monitor, something that will be good for gaming but nothing that will break the bank. What should I look for when looking for a monitor anyway?? Will this system be a good system to spend money on. I am on a budget and keeping it below $900 would be great. Not much in to OCing yet but maybe one day.

Thanks

Advertisements

twotoes

twotoes

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i would look for a cheaper mb, dont spend all that extra money for an SLi enabled board. do you really plan on using it?

superflyR8

superflyR8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well i might use it in the future, i rather a mother board that i can just buy another graphic card for and get great results. Rather than having to spend $400 more on a graphic card and have a $180 card laying around.

I have looked at the other boards and i like a MSI board if i dont get the SLI board. its $88

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
That MSI board gets high marks in the reviews I have read, so your good there.

do a little research on the SLI thing- I havent looked into it much myself, but I have seen several references here on GTG that the cards must be exactly matched- manufacturer, speeds, even batch number of cards (time of manufacture) must match for it to work correctly.

for a monitor, the cheap way to go is to get a CRT. it takes up space, but the image quality is the best especially for games, and they are cheap. you should be able to pick up a 19" screen pretty cheap.

only thing I would suggest changing is the hard drive, I have been burned by western digital a couple times. things may have changed with their sata drives, I dont know. personally I prefer seagate and maxtor.

dont forget the OS!

superflyR8

superflyR8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks audioboy, i think i might not go the SLI way because it seems the psu that comes with the case will not power everything i have. this is what another forum said. But is there anything wrong with the Thermaltake case and psu??

Also if i dont do the SLI MOBO, i am still going to get the MSI MOBO just not the SLI version.

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $88

XION II case

I like that case too and i have read great things about it, maybe it with a different PSU.

I will look for a CRT. what brand, Viewsonic?? NEC?? ect...?

Edited by superflyR8, 23 June 2005 - 10:22 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that thermaltake setup looks good. I cant imagine a 430 watt psu wouldnt be able to power all the stuff you want, you dont have anything truly heavy going on there.
I do usually recommend going 480-watt and up, but you should be fine with that 430, especially since its a thermaltake.

yeah, that mobo is great, SLI or not.

I like viewsonic for monitors, I have a really old 17" Ive been using for many years with no problems. would love to go bigger, but cant afford to lose more space on my desk...and Im a gamer, so LCD isnt quite there yet in terms of image quality for fast FPS games. actually, the newest ones might be, but I cant afford one, I just built my new gaming rig!

best bet is to go to a store, actually look at the screens, decide what you like.

superflyR8

superflyR8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So if i dont go the SLI way( cost to much for me really) and just get the

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $88

my system will work very well with the case(thermaltake) and the PSU that comes with it??

How is the cooling on the Thermaltake case since i dont see a opening on the front where there is a 120mm fan??

Edited by superflyR8, 23 June 2005 - 11:13 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Even with SLI the thermal take would be enough you wouldnt have alot to play with after but it would work. Sli is notorioysly difficult to implement, but im hearing rumours that ati crossfire may be able to be made to work on a SLi mobo im going to look into it.
Its a myth that CRTs are cheaper than TFT im planning on getting a Samsung 913N at the moment 8ms response no dvi but that isnt bad as it has a good convertor in it its 200 pounds here dont know what you would get it for in the states, its cheaper than a 19 inch CRT anyway.
For a case and PSU: Antec Performance TX1088AMG Metallic Grey Tower Case - 480w Truepower PSU (CA-035-AN); this is a good one i think im going to get it myself. Fans are cheap aqs long is there is an availabe space for them you can just get more. 6600GTs for the money to me seem bad value the x800 is roughly the same price but has alot more power and more extras check them out.