Are you sure that you are backing up clean data?
If that is your decision. I cannot stop you and I also cannot promise you that this mess will soon be resolved. I wish I could.
If you decide to re-install, go for SP2. It offers the most protection. I have it on my system and have never had a bit of problems with it.
If you can afford them, Kaspersky, NOD32 are among the best. If you can't AVG free is excellent. But whatever you choose, you must keep the definitions up to date and you must run them very regularly. I go for overkill, I have mine running every night at 2AM.
You could use a firewall. There are a lot of good ones. A free one that is easy to use is ZoneAlarm free.
EWIDO looks like a very good bet for the future. We are using it everywhere for killing stuff off. (I have it on my system)
Ad-Aware and Spybot are free and excellent. You still have to run regular updates and run the program. (I use both)
Plus read the following:(I have all this on my machine and never have a problem)
I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)
I will leave the topic open until tomorrow just in case you change your mind. If you don't, I would appreciate a post in which you state that you decided to reformat. Thanks