Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Socket Information

• Please log in to reply

Hero Link

Hero Link

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright, in my laptop, I am trying to find out what socket my processor uses, so I can buy a new one. I don't want to buy one, and not have it fit. I cannot find the location of my processor when I opened it up. Someone told me that I could find it through windows. If you need to know, I have a HP Pavilion dv1000, with a Celeron M 1.3GHz processor, just in case you you what pin setup/socket it uses. I've looked around on the net and have seen 478, and 479.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi there hero link,

use everest home to obtain info on your machine, including socket type.

with a laptop, its not usually recommended for the average end user to do upgrades. best to go to a shop, they will know how to do it, as well as what can be upgraded and how much, etc.
one thing to consider is heat- a newer processor will run hotter, and that machine might not be able to handle the increased heat.
I know its probably not what you want to hear, but its better to be safe in a case like this!