Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2 Crashing IE

• Please log in to reply

alps6

alps6

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After installing SP2 I rebooted by pc and all is well except when I try and open IE the programs starts to open and then just as quickly closes itself. I'm also running Firefox 1.0 and it is running fine. I've tried disabling my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) and Nod32 but that was no help either. Turned off all the popup blockers still no help. I tried starting system in safe mode w/ networking and IE still would not open (Firefox does). I rebooted pc and got: Generic Host Process For Win32 Services error message, but when I clicked on details it didn't list an application that caused the fault. Looking for any help before I try and reinstall IE. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try to run IE, note the time

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.[/code]

alps6

alps6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Actually before I got your post, I uninstalled Service Pack 2. Not sure if that's a mistake but I was having numerous problems with programs running (ie and a number of programs were not running when selected) and my wireless router stopped working in addition. To be honest, had the uninstall of SP2 not worked, I would have reinstalled XP. I loaded SP2 on my small network at work and on 15/16 of the systems all went well. On the last one it destroyed everything and we ended up reinstalling xp. Would have done the same thing here. Thanks for the posting...wish I had seen it sooner to find out exactly what was going on. Had it been just IE I would have been more patient :tazz:

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
man patience is the key well i think your IE got some problems .. sp2 is there to support IE .. may be some malwares are there ..

well chill out now :tazz: