Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need To Purchase New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

ds213

ds213

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

My hard drive died. I have a Dell Pentium III with 128 RAM. What kind of hard drive do I need to buy? Is 40GB sufficient or something like 80GB? Need to buy asap but awaiting your much needed opinion(s). Thanks.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Welcome to GTG
I would go with the 80g the more room the better I say you can look at some of the ones here I have tried them there not a bad drive for the money I would go with a 7200 rpm
Hard drives
<_<

ds213

ds213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Tazz1964,

Thanks for your quick reply. I checked out the ones you recommended. There are so many that I am lost. So, you're recommending 80 GB (at least??) with 7200 RPM. Should I get something better than that? I'm wondering because my computer is 3 years old, etc. But, I do still want to get use out of it since I upgraded it when I bought it.
A friend at school said Western Digital was o.k. but it is 40GB w/7200 RPM and on sale at OfficeMax with a $40.00 rebate, so it would cost $39.99. Is this brand good?

The prices seemed very reasonable at btech and they include UPS shipping. They asked if I want a hard drive cooler and a drive enclosure...do I need that?? Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thanks again! D

ds213

ds213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Tazz,

I bought an 80 GB w/7200 rpm so far so good....FYI!

Thanks!

drae

drae

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi
Welcome to GTG
    I would go with the 80g the more room the better I say you can look at some of the ones here I have tried them there not a bad drive for the money I would go with a 7200 rpm
Hard drives
<_<

View Post

hi,I would go with 2 times the size of your last hard drive.It is likely to outlast the rest of your system.Western digital is a ok hard drive.You don't need anything else that doesn't come with the hard drive.Just remember that you must try and copy your old hard drive onto your new one.Dells can sometimes be very tricky to do this with.With the price of new main units so low it might be worth it to buy a new tower only.

ds213

ds213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your response. What do you think about Maxtor or Seagate? CompUsa is recommending them. I'll go with 80 for sure..then when this one dies...I think I'm going Apple. No spyware and all that crap to deal with.....
Lator gator...

Marz1983

Marz1983

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Word of warning. Download Crash Diffrent before switching :-p

http://stuff.mit.edu...eho/crash.shtml

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts