Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking a Printer

• Please log in to reply

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am trying to hook up a computer to an existing network that has a networked printer. I just installed XP on this machine, and want to be able to print something from this (new) computer to the networked printer.

The printer is a Kyocera Mita Monochrome Copier / MFP model 3035.

I know the IP address of the printer, but I am very new to XP. (I only started like, Tuesday.) How would I connect my computer to that printer, assuming there are no differences between my computer and the others that are on the network already?

Anyone, please help! I really am almost sick with anxiety because of this! Thanks!

Jerry

Edited by JerryJustin, 24 June 2005 - 07:04 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how are the computer''s networked? is it a peer-to-peer (no server)? or do you have a client-server network (obviously with a server and a domain)?

if you guys are doing peer-to-peer then you have to join the pc to the workgroup.
if it is client-server you need to join the domain.

you should just be able to add the printer relatively easily.

is the printer on a print server? or does it have it's own nic card? or is it directly connected to a pc on the network and shared from there?

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The network is peer-to-peer, and I thought I was already part of the workgroup. They can see my computer's shared folders...how could I tell for sure if I am part of their workgroup?

The printer itself, I do not think is on a print server. I am guessing it has its own nic card since it has its own IP address, and since it looks like the cables themselves just plug in to the router (though it is really hard to tell---the electrician hated these guys, and set up a big chunk of the network hardware in the BATHROOM). Is there any way you know of to tell, for sure, which of these options it is? I'm sorry to have to ask, but I've never dealt with a networked printer before.

Thanks, dsenette!

Jerry

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am pretty sure that this printer, while it has two ethernet outputs, also has a USB-Serial converter or something that makes it so the people at the office can print from their Dell workstations via their USB ports, through the ethernet connection. (I don't see any other wires coming off of the printer, is why I think this.)

The only thing in the Device Manager on my computer that isn't working properly is "USB-Serial Controller." I have no idea what else would not be working, since everything else seems to work fine.

The CD's that came from Kyocera did not let me just install the drivers for the USB-Serial controller, so that might mean that 1) I need to install their software or 2) the USB-Serial Controller might not be Kyocera's "problem" at all. (Although there may be more possibilities..!)

Any ideas on precisely how to make that USB-Serial controller work, if I can't get the drivers off of the CD? Or, how I could tell for sure what precisely is not working, if it isn't the printer?

Thanks so much---I am willing to give a donation should I get this fixed by this evening!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's easy.

if you can share files with the pc and connect to other ones then you are on the workgroup.

to add the printer:
start > settings > printers and faxes
add new printer

now...your first instinct is to pick networked printer. this is wrong

click the local printer button and to save time unclilck the auto detect box.
create a new tcp/ip port
give that port the ip of the printer and follow from there

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the serial controller
right click my computer then click manage
click the device manager.
if serial controler isn't set up it will have a nice big yellow triangle with an ! next to it
click on it and update the driver. you should be able to get one off the internet.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Print a configration page from that printer and by using the IP address you can add a new printer -> local printer (untick detect automatically) then create a new port (Standart TCP/IP), you just have to enter the IP address from the config sheet and you are on track.

It should appear in your Printers and Faxes.

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks! I think the printer functions properly now! WOO! Thanks!

As far as the mysterious "USB-Serial controller" goes...Device manager does indeed have the yellow-triangle-! and I tried to update the drivier, to no avail.

I don't even know for sure what this is supposed to be. Any ideas on that, or what to do if it won't update automatically from Windows update?

Thanks again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well it seems that it didn't give you the option to update the driver from the internet right? um....sometimes windows update will find a driver for you when you go to the site....if you have any idea what that hardware actually is (make and model) you can go to the manufacturere's website.. it may be irrelevant

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:15 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
[edit]

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:17 PM.

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, I *do* get the option to update from the internet, but...it doesn't find anything when it searches.

And I have NO idea what the make & model of whatever that thing is... The people here had this really weird "Dell Workstation" thing set up, with laptop docking stations out the wazoo.

Any idea how I could try to figure out what it is, without knowing any more than that? ('Cause nobody here has any clue.)

Thanks again!! This printer thing was a real worry---this USB Serial doodad looks much less important, but I'd like to get everything to work if I possibly can.

Jerry

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well assuming that all of the pcs are the same model and build you could check in the device manager of another computer and see if it shows up there

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what brand of computer is it?

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
They are all Dell computers, not sure what model.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try going to http://support.dell....=555&l=en&s=biz

you will need the service tag number which should be on the bottom of a laptop or the back or side of a desktop