Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

spy sheriff

• Please log in to reply

emillman

emillman

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
i was on my comp and all of a sudden my desktop turned blue with a black box saying something like "warning computer at risk due to spyware" then somehow spy sheriff was installed. i knew it was fake so i tried deleting it. my internet wouldnt let me go any websites. i then ran adaware and a spysweeper. that didnt fix it. I then opened msconfig and disabled everything because i didnt know what the problem was. i restarted and everything was ok because spy sheriff didnt open up. i followed all the steps before posting, and still have the problem. so here is my hijack this scan result

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:04:08 AM, on 6/24/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\tv\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

Advertisements

Wizard

Wizard

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,661 posts
Hi emillman and Welcome!

The first thing that has to happen is get Windows Updated to SP1!

Just open Internet Explorer and Click Tools then Click Windows Updates!

Once thats completed,Run MSCONFIG and enable everything in the startup area. To get to MSCONFIG, click on Start -> Run -> type in MSCONFIG -> click OK!

Under the "General" Tab
Make Sure Normal Startup is Checked!!

Click Apply>>OK>>Follow the Prompts to Restart!!

Post a fresh HijackThis log!

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
windowns update wouldn't let me update to sp1, only sp2 which doesnt work for me. i am downloading sp1 from softwarepatch.com

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
updating didn't work. it said my cd key or something was invalid. i found my sp2 cd which has been missing for a while. could i install sp2 instead?

emillman

emillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
mmm, i tried using my windows sp2 cd and it said my version cant be updated. i think i should just reformat my computer. i just upgraded everything in it so i dont have many files on it, none that are very important. good idea?

Wizard

Wizard

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,661 posts
Its a bit drastic but is sure to solve most if not all the problems you are having!