Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

soundMAX problems

• Please log in to reply

DOH!

DOH!

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, I am a buisness man, and I use Voice over IP programs for meetings, ect.. My mic worked fine, and I assure you that the mic works. I was told to just reinstall my sound card drivers, but I dont know what/where to get it..

If one of you guys could help me, that would amazing, meeting at 9am today. Thanks

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Someone for the love of god help me.... I have already missed the meetings, thanks a ton!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
first and easiest is to just run windows update, under optional device drivers it may turn up a sound driver for you.

if not, go to device manager, select the audio device, right click for properties, go to driver, select update driver. allow it to access internet.

if still not, from device driver, select uninstall of the audio device. reboot, windows should auto load drivers.

if none of those work, post back, and we can go into the more involved ways.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, I tryed all those, none worked. So I installed,the newest soundMAX driver, and it didnt work... Thank-you though.

Edited by DOH!, 24 June 2005 - 07:47 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, go into the volume settings, and make sure the mic is turned up and is not muted.

next go through the troubleshooter there, which should allow you to test the mic input and make sure its working correctly.

the mic should be working by default, but now it would be prudent to go through its settings to make sure its on.

also, are you sure you have the mic plugged into the correct jack on the sound card?

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Still nothing, and yeah, the mic is plugged into the right jack. It worked before in this jack, and then all of a sudden it doesn't. Trouble shoot did nothing by the way.

I have no idea what the [bleep] happened..

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
were you able to see the incoming levels from the mic as you spoke during the troubleshooter? if not, then that narrows the problem to that area. if you did see levels and could run the test record and playback, then we have to start looking at the software for the VoIP.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I actually didn't see a trouble shoot button...

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sorry, that wasnt the right name for the button Im thinking of. go to control panel, sound and audio devices, voice tab. first make sure the correct device is selected, then do the test hardware button/wizard.
that will allow you to test the incoming mic signal, etc. so you can make sure its working properly.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thats what I thought you were talking about, and thats what I did. It didn't show anything, but I don't have any choices besides soundMAX for recording, and playback..

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
alright, so you ran that test and didnt see any levels? that means something is not right with the sound card.
please list the make/model of your motherboard, or the whole machine if its a prebuilt system (dell, HP, compaq, etc).

if you need to, you can get that info using everest home.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.01.347
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-06-28
Time 00:24

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Asus K8V Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/21/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
Monitor Komodo H73 [17" CRT] (709271)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP0802N (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252B (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 76340 MB (54629 MB free)

Edited by DOH!, 27 June 2005 - 10:28 PM.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Missing anything?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I checked out the asus site, they have amany versions of the audio driver. check which version you are currently running, if there is an update for XP, go ahead and install it. go here to check.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
What do you mean which version im running? Which version of what? That website is like me trying to read german. I get lost easily..