Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

soundMAX problems

• Please log in to reply

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
which version of the driver for your sound. you can check your current version in deivce manager, by right clicking the audios device and selecting properties, then going to the driver tab.

if there is a newer version available from asus for your your OS, get it and install it.

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
No idea my friend...

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I am still in need of help, if anyone else has something?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi, sorry for the delay getting back to you, Ive been busy...

did you understand what I was saying about the driver version?
basically I would like you to grab the latest stable driver for your OS from the asus site.
then go through and make sure the mic input is not muted, is turned up, etc. run the wizard I mentioned earlier to make sure mic levels are getting into the PC, so we can confirm if the card is working right or not.
you might have to go through that wizard and make sure it is set to do its "recording" from the mic in, not the line in. mic in is the default, but at this point, it pays to be sure.

if you do all that and it still isnt working, then its possible the onboard sound chip has fritzed out, and a replacement card would be in order.
let me know how it goes, if you have any questions ,etc.

wizrrrd

wizrrrd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
this is to you both audioboy & doh. Well audioboy done his best to help doh. But I think its somethin else. I too have a similar scenario. We have recently bought Fujitsu Siemens desktops who all have SoundMAX audio drivers. Situation over here is I can only speak through Creative microphones. Where as the audio from the other 2 microphones that I have is not picked up at all. It gets picked but then its level is near to zero. so the output is just crackled sound. Can ne1 explain y audio get intercepted only byCreative mics. I test my audio on Sound Recorder in Accessories ---> Entertainment or simply type sndrec32 at Start ===> RUN

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I have no idea, just know it still doesn't work. :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sound cards, especially the onboard variety, can be kinda picky. I have seen countless problems with integrated sound...
another little oddity is that some mics will only seem to work with certain cards. I would tend to think it has to do with the power being provided to the mic or not. documentation usually refers to the power as Bias.

doh, you still havent told me the driver version, etc. that I asked for above...

I know no one wants to spend money, but I typically recommend getting a separate sound card. nothing fancy, unless you want 5.1 or 7.1 surround. personally I use some older creative live value 16 cards in my machines for any non-pro audio applications.
there are some cheap cards available from turtle beach and chaintech, which are easily better than any integrated sound.
I prefer creative (soundblaster) cards when possible, its very rare that I see any problems with them!

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I seen no reason to buy a new card, when this one has worked fine for so long.. :tazz:

driver version is 5.12.1.3620

ljvanzyl

ljvanzyl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you used the AudioWizard to set up the mic??