Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot run command prompts or regedit

• Please log in to reply

metemi

metemi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Gentlemen:

Have you ever seen an error like this? (when trying to open the command prompt DOS window or regedit). Before this msg. I was getting this autoexe.nt error - I was missing that file from my WIN32 folder so I replaced it (d/l from some computer help site as I don't have my O/S disk), and now I get this message. It all seems to stem from some nasty spyware I picked up recently and finally just got rid of (p2pnetworking.exe) I Followed the instruction from another (closed) posting regarding the removal of that bit, but still having this CMD window problem. Help!!

"C:/WINNT\system32\cmd.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an liiegal instruction.
CS:0533 IP:ffe4 ff 1d 09 21 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U shouldnt have d\l autoexec.nt from another website. Windows keeps a backup copy in "C:\Windows\repair" (where c: is the volume where XP was installed). Hopefully, ur bakup copy is not corrupted(check the date).

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you borrow someone else's cd?

Did you follow the removal outlined here?
http://securityrespo...alcarys@mm.html

Johanna

metemi

metemi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried copying the backup file from the WINNT Repair folder but that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download the xp-fix from the following page:

windows xp 16-bit subsystem error

metemi

metemi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Download the xp-fix from the following page:

windows xp 16-bit subsystem error

View Post

Yes I already tried that. Thats when started getting the current error message. The former error message was "16 bit windows subsystem: C:\WINNT\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application." I can't seem to find a remedy for this.

Ooze27

Ooze27

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i had the same problem m8 until 15 min ago :tazz:

I just updated ad-aware and run a full system scan or deep scan,it found out many files in system 32 folder after i delete them,all is good now.hope this helps