Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to boot windows XP.

• Please log in to reply

Jimothey

Jimothey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok heres what happens.
all boots fine, windows XP splash screen comes up, then a box comes up in the middle of the screen saying
'winlogon.exe'
'unknown software exception' and somnething else with a load of numbers after it.
'click ok to teminate or cancel to debug'
I would click a button, but the computer reboots itself after that.
so I'm in a continuous loop.
I rung up the company i bought it from, and they said that i'd have to pay a very expensive price for a repair cd. :tazz: ;)
the same thing happens when i try to load it in safe mode and with command prompt.
any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i found this at a nother site:
"When I attempt to login to admin profile I get a message says \"The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on ok to terminate the program or click on cancel to debug the program.

Additional Comments:
If I click ok then the machine reboots. If I click cancel it forces a reboot too. If I just leave the message up, eventually I can get into windows but it takes a while. If I leave it alone then the PC works fine; I just have to work around the problem. I can not find a reference to this problem anywhere."

looks like it might be spyware related. i found a couple other references from google that refer to spyware occupying the winlogon exe file none suggest that they would cause this...but you can try a scan if you can get in.

Jimothey

Jimothey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
this is it.. the comp will reboot regardless to whether i click a button or not...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok...well the people who sold the pc to you should have send a repair disk if they didn't then they suck and you should put nasty words on their cars at night. do you have a windows xp cd?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.tweakxp.c...icle153115.aspx

download the above, burn the iso image (do you know how to do this) and reboot your computer with it....

look for a directory called c:\i386 or c:\windows\i386

you need to use old DOS commands.

for example, when you first boot, you will be looking at c:\windows

type cd i386...if you get an error message, type
cd..

then type dir /p

do you see an i386 directory?

Jimothey

Jimothey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeha i can do that..
the thing is i can't get to the command prompt, it wants to load xp first..
or does this file enable me to get to the prompt?
The link you gave me doesn't work, it comes up 'page cannot be displayed'

Update: Ok now it works... crazy computer!
And when i click on the 'download' link it comes up with search.msn.com for 'Legal Downloads'

Edited by Jimothey, 24 June 2005 - 11:44 AM.