Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Problem when accessing .doc files

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Reid_*

Guest_Reid_*
hi there, ive stumbled by this site in an attempt to find a solution to an ongoing problem ive had, when on the internet and attempting to access files with extension .doc or spreadhseets for that matter as well, i get an error message: 'Class not registerd' promtly followed by 'The software installiation data in the Active Directory is corrupt'

I am running windows XP and using interent explorer.

cheers

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Re-install MS Office
It seems that Office hasn't registsred all classes, easiest way to reinstall or repair instalead or uninstalling and reinstalling.

Guest_Reid_*

Guest_Reid_*
I'm currently running Microsoft Works and Open Office? could this be contributing to the problem and would reinstalling Microsoft works have the same effect? Alternativly is the fault due to the absense of Microsoft Office - though i beleive i have previously been able to access such files.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
No you should be able to open them with Open Office. It might have lost its classes within Internet Explorer, do a repair. Run the setup for the Open Office and repair your installation. That normally sorts out the problem.