Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant start Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Spartan117

Spartan117

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well today I was starting my computer, last night it was perfectly fine. Its going normally as it should be but when it gets to Windows XP loading (with the windows logo and the little loader bar) like half way through it loading this blue screens with words pops up and blinks real quick and my computer just restarts. Yes I have tried safe mode, safe mode command prompt and most the other options but it just does the same thing and I cant get to windows! Please help I REALLY dont want to reformat!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those words are pretty critical--need to know them. I know, they flash and the machine reboots. Why Microsoft set this as a default I will never know.

Do you have a windows disk?

Spartan117

Spartan117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Im pretty sure but I cant find it :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the easiest way of dealing with this is a repair installation, which leaves all of your data and registry settings intact.

Spartan117

Spartan117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I have found Windows XP but how am I going to do that if I cant get into windows?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reboot with the cd in the cd-rom, if you didn't change it, it will boot from the cd.

follow this

http://www.webtree.c.....isting Setup:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Well today I was starting my computer, last night it was perfectly fine. Its going normally as it should be but when it gets to Windows XP loading (with the windows logo and the little loader bar) like half way through it loading this blue screens with words pops up and blinks real quick and my computer just restarts. Yes I have tried safe mode, safe mode command prompt and most the other options but it just does the same thing and I cant get to windows! Please help I REALLY dont want to reformat!

View Post

Put the XP cd in, and when windows starts up, it might come up with something saying 'Hit any key to boot from CD'

From there follow your noise into it, but just remember the REPAIR is the one that you need, keeps your file intact and software but repairs the computer.

If this does not work then I am really sorry to say, that you might have to reformat your computer. ANd yes I know that this is a pain in the arse and I do know how you feel about not wanting to do that.