Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Write Protected" Problems

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I became "Click-Happy" and hit a Virtual Bouncer ad. From then on, Window's error screen/s would appear and then the computer would freeze up. However, after many valid efforts, I was able to run Ad-Aware and it recognized 460+ Potentially harmful files; but while trying to delete these files the computer froze. After attempt after attempt, and just deleting a few problems on each try, I was able to delete every Potentially harmful file. I was also able to run Norton Anti-Virus.

However, after a few scans with Norton there are still about 20 problems that cannot be cleaned, deleted, or even quarantined because they are "Write Protected." While the Window's error screen/s are no longer present, my computer will automatically run scan disk even after a "Proper Shut-Down/Restart." In addition, my computer is extremely slow and pop-ups still infect my computer.

Please help me...

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi McKnight, Welcome to GTG !!

If I may, I suggest that you download this free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Edited by Linkmaster, 24 June 2005 - 10:15 AM.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Will do...

It will most likely be later tonight as I am at work currently...