Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Security Dialog Box

• Please log in to reply

hall2510

hall2510

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When you utilize Ctl Alt Del to logoff, the Security dialog box is not always active by default. I used to be able to do Ctl Alt Del and hit enter and my machine would always lock. Now, I have to make a conscious effort to verify that it is active before walking away from my computer. I want to say that this started happening after the May Microsoft security patches. This is occuring on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. It could be GPO related, but each of these OS is in a different OU. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you just need to secure the computer to get another cup of coffee, use Winkey + L (lock). It's faster, you won't lose any unsaved work, and it still requires the password to resume. To log off, does the log off option from the start button work?

When I pull up Task Manager, I can't just hit enter to log off or lock. I have to click "Shut Down" to get a menu of my choices, including "lock", and all are present and work as expected. I have a fully updated XP Pro SP2.

Can you explain exactly what you used to do to log off or lock the computer (there is a difference)? Maybe we can figure out what's broken.

Johanna

hall2510

hall2510

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
We are using Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro. When I use CTL ALT DEL, I get a Windows Security Dialog box that has the option of Lock Computer (default) Logoff; Shut Down; Change Password; Task Manager or Cancel. I do have a screen print of what I am referring to. I will save it into a Word doc and attach it to this reply. Start - Logoff does work, we also have a batch file that works as well, but everyone is used to using ctl alt del and hitting enter.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
looked through the entire list of group policies and cannot find anything that would explain it....you can hide the button, but not alter it as default.

From my albeit limited knowledge of programming, this is set in the code....I cannot understand why it might sometimes be, but not others.

I can not duplicate it here. The fact that it occurs on multiple OSs is interesting.....

If you remove a PC from the domain, does this recur?