Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Welcome screen in XP

• Please log in to reply

bethany26

bethany26

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I've had this problem for a really long time and I've tried to fix in many times with no success. So, here's my last shot.

I have Windows XP and at some point in the past I installed a piece of software that changed how users log onto XP. Originally it was a pretty graphic with a button that each user could click to log on. Now, it is a login box asking for name and password. When I go to the Control Panel and select User Accounts and then click on the task "change the way users log on or off" I get an alert that says:

A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: MSGINA.DLL

I have never been able to figure out what the program is, and MSGINA.DLL has never helped me.

Can you help me?
Please
-Bethany

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Does anybody Google any more? First hit:
http://www.microsoft...rity/msgina.asp

Warning: Potential System Failure
Attempting to use a new GINA can cause a system to fail to boot correctly. If a new GINA is created, the registry is changed to use this new GINA, and attempts to restart the system are met with a Failed to Load xyz.dll error message.

Recovering from a GINA-related System Failure
Recovery is possible without reinstalling the system. This requires having a boot disk, or equivalent workaround, that will boot the system without using a normal hard disk boot.
To recover from this situation:
1. Boot the auxiliary system—potentially by using a boot disk.
2. Go to the System32 folder where the new, failed GINA DLL is located.
3. Move the failed GINA to a different folder.
4. Copy the original MSGINA DLL in the System32 folder and rename it with the name of the failed GINA.
5. Restart the computer and the original MSGINA DLL will load under the new name. At this point fixes can be made in the modified GINA.

Other MSGINA topics covered include: the responsibilities for Winlogon, standard features, necessary functions and helper functions.
Read all about it by clicking on the link above.

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 24 June 2005 - 01:43 PM.