Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

data recovery from 2nd hard drive ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
submitted a post last week regarding getting data from my old hdd. Have recently installed a 120gig hdd to suplement my original 40gig drive.
Had some problems setting it all up and getting the drives assinged letters, but at the end of the day the disk management was telling me that there was 100% free space on the old drive ??? impossible. wasnt formatted, nothing was deleted or anything. Now all i want to recover is my music files (15 gb total), not too woried about anything else on there, but a good 10 gb of that music will take me months to replace. tried using runtime getdataback programe , but found it very difficult to use, wasnt very user freindly and after 24 hours of recovering data, displayed only 5 music tracks and lots of other files i couldnt honestly find any assosciation with. I know the music is still on the drive somewhere, but i just cant get the computer to recognise its data. I have even tried just booting up with the old drive, but just get boot up errors ( just to complicate things more )
I am learning all the time, and have learned how to do, and how not to do things , mainly by trail and error (with forum advice) , but i need some serious help on this one. any good advice will be taken on board and put to good use. many thanks, RX KEV.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Rx Kev. I seemed to remember seeing links on hd data recovery in some forum I visit, but after checking those I visit regularly just moments ago, couldn't find anything. So I did a google search for "hard drive data recovery" and found this useful guide:
http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1139
That is a place to start. Lots of hits on my search. If the one above does not help, search google and check some of the others. Norton GoBack is one program that is supposed to be able to do this. I Norton System Works but don't have any personal experience with GoBack. Good luck!