Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

5.1 surround sound wont' stay [Applied]

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
u know how u open "Sounds and Audio Devices" in cp
then select [Audio] tab
then [Advanced] in the "Sound Playback" box,
then [Speakers] tab
then select "5.1 surround sound speakers"
then click on [Apply] or [OK]

and it should save ur setting? well, on mine it wont save the "5.1 surround sound speakers" setting. always goes back to the "Desktop stereo speakers" setting.

anyone know the registry entry to force the "5.1 sss" setting?

the 7.1 surround setting will "stay applied". wonderful. fabulous. and gay.

Edited by Riddick51, 24 June 2005 - 05:44 PM.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Here is the registery key:
(Note: i have used 3 variables:
xxxx: serial number of ur current hardware profile
yyyyy: is a string which contains ur sound card's hardware name
zzzz: Some weird no. which i couldnt reconize)

HKLM\System\ControlSet002\Hardware Profiles\xxxx\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\yyyyy\zzzz\DirectSound\SpeakerType\SpeakerType

Change its value from 2(for,desktop stero speraker) to 11 (in decimal) or "b" (in hex) for 5.1

Below is a screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• regedit_speakertype.JPG

Edited by darth_ash, 25 June 2005 - 07:03 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
darth: perfect. that's what i wanted.

i found that my soundcard's software has, apparently, a random occuring bug where it won't let window's keep the "5.1 sss" setting. a guy over at pcmech.com suggested i uninstall my soundcard software and run the drivers only. then, windows would keep the "5.1 sss" setting. in fact, he was right, the soundcard software was giving windows difficulty saving the "5.1 sss" setting.

with ur registry entry, i might be able to keep my soundcard software installed, since it looks like i can force the "5.1 sss" entry in the registry now. i'm going to give that a go.

thanks again :tazz: