Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to Networking

• Please log in to reply

azadder

azadder

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am on Windows XP. I've got a DSL modem plugged into a wire/less router. From the router, I have a desktop plugged into it and a laptop accessing it wirelessly. Both computers are accessing the internet flawlessly.

I would now like to set up a network to share files and a printer... I was pointed in the right direction (I believe) - to use WinXP wizard to create a workgroup/network place. It is here that I am stuck. I don't know how to go about accessing/using the wizard - and I am not too sure on how to get the computers to recognize each other....

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank You. :tazz:

Advertisements

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, I've made some progress. I went throught the wizard and this is what I have so far:

My Desktop sees the laptop.
The laptop does not see the desktop (again, the laptop is wireless).

Any help would be appreciated.

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I unbridged a connection and it seems as though everything is working. Thank you for all of your help.

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, I've gotten the laptop printing wirelessly (good feeling... a first success). The desktop does not have access to the laptop and I don't know how to set the permission for that.

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Alright, I've made some progress.  I went throught the wizard and this is what I have so far:

My Desktop sees the laptop.
The laptop does not see the desktop (again, the laptop is wireless).

View Post

I have basically the same setup you have. DSL modem, wireless router and a lan wire going to the desktop from the router. Then my laptop is wireless.

I never tried making a network from my desktop to my laptop until a last weekend cause i never knew how to do it. so i decided to give it a try. I setup a home network on both computers. When i tried to add my desktop to my network places on my laptop, i was unable to until i connected my laptop with a lan wire coming from the router. Then i was able to find my desktop and add it to my network place. Now i'm able to transfer files from my desktop to my laptop wirelessly :tazz: ;) ;) :help:. Maybe i was doing something wrong and thats why i couldn't find my desktop network. Hopefully this helps you out. If it doesn't, sorry for wasting you time.

Edited by derek2005, 24 June 2005 - 08:08 PM.

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the post derek.

I've gotten them to see each other, I just need to find out how to set the permissions so that my desktop access my laptop.

Again, thank you VERY much derek for your help.

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Oh, my bad. So you are talking about all the files on your laptop, not just the files in the shared folder?

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yea, I can't access \\laptop from desktop.
\\laptop is the...erm... laptop

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
So you are saying you can't even access your shared folder on your laptop from your desktop? You keep saying you can't access your laptop. What do you mean by that. Do you mean you can't access the laptop entirely or you can access the shared file but not anything else on the laptop hard drive? If you can't access your laptop at all, then I can't help you. If you can access your laptop and shared file, i can help you access the rest of your laptop files. Just please clairify.

Edited by derek2005, 24 June 2005 - 08:51 PM.

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can't access the laptop at ALL. I can see it, just can't access a thing.

Advertisements

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
OH. That might be out of my knowledge range then. The only thing i would be able to tell you is how to set permissions on folders to share them over your network. All you do there is open a folder and on the left hand side it says "share folder", click that and you'll be able to share across your network. I don't know if you knew how to do that or if that will fix that problem.......

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, try this, on your desktop, create a user account that is exactly like the user account you are using on your laptop. Log in with that account on your desktop, then try to access the laptop.

Greazy Mcgeezy

azadder

azadder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh, I see what you are saying - the laptop account I have has administrator priveliges.

Well, I tried giving an administrator account on the desktop. Still can't access the laptop - same permissions problem. Not sure what's going on here. (everything was the same in the accounts also)

e_minus1

e_minus1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi azadder

please check the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, and see if both of your computers correspond.
you may access it by:
1. Right-click on "My Network Places" seen on the desktop of your pc. Then click on "Properties".
2. You'll see a "Local Area Connection" item. Right-click on it, then click on "Properties".
3. Then a dialog "Local Area Connection Properties" appears. There you'll see a list of items with check-boxes.
4. Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" item. Then click on the "Properties" button.
5. The TCP/IP Properties will then show up. Under the "Use the following IP address", fill-in the "IP address" field, with whatever you want. Then also fill-in the "Subnet mask". The "IP address" must be unique on the computers connected, but the "Subnet mask" must be the same. The "Default gateway" must be the IP address of the pc that connects directly outside into the internet (e.g. a server), but it's not necessary if any of your pc is not connecting to the internet, just a simple network.
6. Then click on "OK" button.
7. You may now try to access each pc.

below is an example of the "IP address" and "Subnet mask" to be used:

PC1: (\\PC1)
IP address: 1.1.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

PC2: (\\PC2)
IP address: 1.1.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

that's all for now... i hope it will you very much... :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If these computers will be getting online, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT use the IP addresses that e_minus has suggested. If you are going to static the IP addresses, you must use addresses that have been assigned as a standard for private networks. The IP addresses that e recommends are not in those ranges. If you are using his instruction, instead of the 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2, use: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2.

Greazy Mcgeezy