Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have 4 computers on a home network all running Windows XP. On 3 of the 4 computers I can see all the computers when I go to Network Places > View Workgroup Computers. However when I click on the icon for one of the computers, xxx, I get a message, “xxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.” When try the same thing from computer xxx, I get a message that I don’t have permission to access the work group.
1. All the computers have the same work group name.
2. I have turn of ZoneAlarm, and the Window Firewall on computer xxx.
3. File and Printer sharing in on.
4. I can ping computer xxx OK.
I can see the file and folders on all the other computers from each other without any problem. Only computer xxx is not accessible in or out. I can only view the icon for this computer as stated above.
What am I missing?

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Check to make sure that the comptuer is not set to be invisible on the network, this can be the problem as well.

Also try accessing the computer like this:

Open up windows Xpolere, or the run command.
Type \\<comptuer name>
press ok or hit the enter key.

IM NOT SAYING IT WOULD WORK but it just might work.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
all xp home? or is one xp pro?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
this is on home and pro that you can use this way to get into a computer on your network.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
tony, I am asking jim....

if he has three homes, and one xp pro, it is likely he has simple file sharing turned off in pro

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The computer xxx that is the problem on the network is XP Pro, all the other on the network are XP Pro except one which is Home all the others work properly on the network.

How do I turn "Simple File Sharing' on or off?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Make sure that all the computers are turned on and active on teh network, then with the computer that is the problem, then jsut redo the netowork settings on that computer.

That should work

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Do you mean that I should run the Network Setup Wizard again?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Do you mean that I should run the Network Setup Wizard again?

View Post

Yes

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I ran the Wizard again and when I try and view the work group, I get a message that WORKGROUP is not available and I may not have permission. From other computers in the work group I can see each other but even computer xxx, but when I click on xxx icon I get the permission error.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you checked the security settings on all the computers?

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes, all the other computers can see and access files on each other. It is only this one computer that has the problem. I can ping computer xxx, the problem computer, from any other computer on the network.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Has the network card on the computer with the problem been updated?

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The problem computer is a year old Dell X300 laptop with a Dell wireless card and a Broadcom 570 Integrated Network card. I am just using the wireless card as this computer is not hard wired into my Home Network. My daughter does plug in an Ethernet cable when she takes this computer to college. When I run the Network Setup Wizard, it shows that this card is disconnected, and I check the option to ignore. Everything appears normal in Divice Manager. The wireless card is operating properly and I can access the Internet over my wireless router.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

tony, I am asking jim....

if he has three homes, and one xp pro, it is likely he has simple file sharing turned off in pro

View Post

Double click MY COMPUTER, click TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS, scroll down...is USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING checked?

Also, are they all in the same workgroup?

Right click MY COMPUTER, PROPERTIES> under COMPUTER NAME, are you in the same workgroup as the others?