Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Access to registry denied by administrator"

• Please log in to reply

KMPrenger

KMPrenger

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
First off i will say that i have researched this topic on this site, closest i could find is Topic 39111 in which the user "lucien" states "when i go to run>regedit i get a window that pops up and says 'registry editing has been disabled by your adminmistrator' but i havent changed any settings?". This is pretty much my problem. Later on in that post the Geeks to Go staff user "gerryf" instructs the user to download a file he posted called fixreg.zip (you unzip it..run the two files and merge each one as you go)...It seemed to work for lucien, but not for me. I have tried this but when i double click on either one of the two files a message still comes up saying "registry editing has been disabled by your adminmistrator".

I have checked my user status in User Accounts and yes it says i am an administrator and should have full access.

Something else i could mention that MIGHT have to do with this..but might not im not sure... is that even though i am the only user of this computer, when i look in Administrative Tools>Computer Management, there is another user name titled "Administrator" and under the description for it it states that it is a "Built-in account for administering the computer/domain". Is this normal? (maybe the computer company i purchased it from adds this in..i have no idea)...when i log off my account and try to relog in again the only user choice available is my own, BUT when i go into safe mode, and i get to the User account selection screen mine AND "Administrator" shows up. I can access the "Administrator" account and in that account i can access the registry. I veiwed the permissions and it seems to show that i should have access from my account as well. but yet i still can't access it from my account..in normal and safe mode.

SOO...after all of that information...can anyone out there come up with some reason as to why i cant access the registry in my own account? Ive read lots of stuff here..and theres some smart people out here i know it! lol. thanx for all the help.

-Keith

EDIT: I just noticed also that i cannot get to Control Panel>Display b/c "Your system administrator disabled the Control Panel Display" (this is exactly what it says)....k...now i know something is wrong...

Edited by KMPrenger, 24 June 2005 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements

v-2chkb

v-2chkb

• Pip
  • 8 posts
check in the safe mode administrator and ideally u should not have a password also

KMPrenger

KMPrenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
when i go in safe mode, i have no password for my account, but the "Administrator" account has a password to get in (which is the word...password) i just guessed it and it worked. Almost too simple...thats one reason why i thought maybe the computer came with the account already on it when i got it..(it was new).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is becoming increasingly useful....

download the attached file, unzip it, double click fixreg1.reg, say yes to allow merge, then double click fixreg2.reg, say yes to merge.

You should now be able to access regedit and control panel, but this also means you are infected with malware.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

KMPrenger

KMPrenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yeah, ill do that....and ill letcha know how it goes...thanks once again.