Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP no sounds from XP

• Please log in to reply

toddsul

toddsul

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just loaded up a new HD with windows XP SPII and the Windows sound has no sound when running windows (i.e. start windows, new mail, windows log off), although sounds work for CDs, DVDs, MP3, games, and other programs etc. it never works for Win XP scheme.

I have changed the sound scheme and tried different types of sounds, but when I start up there is still no windows start up sound. I can play the individual sounds in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, but that is it. They do not work at any other time. I tried both on-board sound and a PCI sound card, but the results are the same.

How does one enable and run the Windows sound scheme? :tazz:

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Ok,

Do this:

Start >> Control Panel >> Performance and Matinance (if you have category view) >> Aministrative tools >> Services >> Windows Audio >> Startup type should be automatic >> Service status should be started. Restart your computer. Please tell me if this works.

toddsul

toddsul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I followed your instructions and found the information. It was set as automatic and I restarted, however still no windows program sounds. Thank you for your idea since I wasn't aware on how to check this.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
which sound card do u have??

toddsul

toddsul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The sound card is a Chaintech AV710, but the problem still exsits using the onboard sound with ASUS P5GD2 C-Media 7.1-channel.

toddsul

toddsul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just found out something interesting in regards to the win XP sounds not working. My display properties change when I log on, about 50% of the time. For example, instead of the apperance of windows classic, windows XP style shows up, also the screen saver defaults to none.

This is what I did. Made a new account (i.e. test account) for logging on to windows XP. In this new account the sound for XP works perfectly, and display properties do not change. This is where I need help. How do I repair/replace the sound and display properties in my account without having to start all over with a new account? It is obvious that wherever those file(s) are located in my account settings, they are missing, corrupt, or not set up properly. Any help appreciated. :tazz: