Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan virus and norton? [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, still having problems with the computer. Found 11 infected files, fixed three and the rest are in quarantine. They all said trojan, I'm assuming this is a virus. Could this be the reason my norton antivirus will not load the definitions and is disabled even though I didnt disable it? Also could it be the reason I cant access anything in my control panel? It says windows cannot access the device, path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access. If this is the cause, what do I do now? Be gentle, I'm not very computer literate. Thanks Kayona

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like you may still have an infection.

Click Here and try one or more of the online virus scans. Also, click here and run The Cleaner trojan scan.

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, went to the link you provided for the free antivirus etc. When I went to download one it told me to uninstall the one I had, Norton, which I did. Norton wasnt working anyway. Now, sigh, I get an alarm saying that windows operations system has changed. Also got this C:\windows\precontrol.exe is win32.startpage.an!downloader trojan not cleaned. Now that I uninstalled Norton and it had files in quarantine, now what? Feel like I am in way over my head. Thanks Kayona, also did run the trojan cleaner and it found nothing????????????????

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Don't panic. I don't think it's as bad as you think it is. For peace of mind, don't let this computer connect to the Interenet unless necessary. Many viruses will disable Norton, but it's also a pretty flaky program and often crashes on its own. Spyware will also disable the control panel and registry editor. "C:\windows\precontrol.exe is win32.startpage.an" is actually classified as spyware by most.

Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Went to the links you provided the first reported an error, the second started to download and then put up these messages, C:\windows\temporaryinternetfiles\content.ie5\62ne3uri\hijackthis (1).exefile appears to be corrupt reinstall and try again. also go windows cannot access file, path or device, may not have appropriate permissions to access the item. The last one I get everytime I try to open anything in the control panel. Getting tired of me yet? Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's try CWShredder. Here's why: If a CoolWebSearch variant is indeed running on your system, it may actually prevent you from running spyware scans. It is smart enough to detect efforts to detect it, and stop them. Download CWShredder to your desktop or other location. Close all browser windows, double click the CWShredder icon to run, then click the Fix -> button. When finished, reboot and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, tried and it keeps telling me that the page cannot be displayed. Dont know if I mentioned this in the fifty posts before but when I quarantined the 8 unrepairable files and tried to send it to symantec it wouldnt let me, couldnt email them from their website either. Thanks Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you able to access the Internet at all? Can you display any web pages?

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, I am able to access the internet and just about any web page I choose other than those that would help me. I couldnt email symantics nor could I email norton through my antivirus "contact us" section. Have no problems getting to you or other things though I'm not doing much other than coming to this website and going where you direct me. Computer seems to be running ok other than the norton problem and not being able to access the control panel, there could be more I suppose that I dont know about. Weird. Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Click Here and send me your email address in a personal message. (Don't post it on this public forum as bots may scan it, and then you'll get tons of spam.)

I'll try sending you hijack this as an email attachment and see if that works. <_<

Advertisements

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ready for this? It said, OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail hijackthis zl9.remove. Kayona

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ran spyhunter v1.129 and it found several things it calls "parasites". It found spylog, seekseek, revenue, mediaplex, media(listed 17),lop.com(2),DyFUCA(7), hitbox(3), kontiki(29)Igetnet. Does this help any? Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This confirms you have a lot of spyware on your system. We don't like Spyhunter. Click Here to download Spybot Search & Destroy.

Using Spybot: Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button.

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It dowloaded fine and worked. Ran the scan and did as you said. So what do I do now? I still cant access anything in my control panel etc. Are we on the downside of the problem now? Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Please copy and paste the scan results back this post.