Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry and Internet Explorer problem. [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Umm.. my problems are still the same, meaning i can't see images on most sites (getting the red X instead) and still a lot of pages will show an error when trying to load... [all on IE of course]

But i think that if all of what you told me to do so far hasn't worked, maybe i should tell you exactly what i changed in my registry, cause maybe that's where the problem lays?
I mean i can't tell you how the REG was before the changes, i just can't remember, but i can show you what it looks like now and you can see if somthing is wrong?

LOG
----------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:52:45 AM, on 6/28/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINXP\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\services.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINXP\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINXP\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINXP\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINXP\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINXP\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINXP\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
C:\WINXP\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe
C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
D:\PROGRAMS\Installations\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.walla.co.il/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINXP\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] C:\WINXP\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINXP\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINXP\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINXP\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StormCodec_Helper] "C:\Program Files\Ringz Studio\Storm Codec\StormSet.exe" /S /opti
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINXP\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dptracker] C:\Program Files\DigitalPeers\CamTrack\dptracker.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINXP\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [ICQ Lite] C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe -trayboot
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Ò×Ȥ¹ºÎï - {DE60714F-AC17-427e-861A-FD60CBDF119A} - http://click2.ad4all...ge/url.asp?id=1 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Ò×Ȥ¹ºÎï - {DE60714F-AC17-427e-861A-FD60CBDF119A} - http://click2.ad4all...ge/url.asp?id=1 (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1115152777397
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINXP\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If your problem is the same then your problem is not malware related. Your system is, however, clean now.

For future reference, always, always back up the registry before making changes. In fact, I recommend staying far away from the registry unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Yes, please tell me exactly what you changed in the registry and why?

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Okay, it's kinda a long story.
A while back when i first got the problem that i'm having now, i checked forums and other things for help on the net, some of them, including microsoft help pages, told me to change values in the registry.
I remember the first time i did somthign was change a certain value from 1 to 0, and that fixed the image viewing problem (can't remember what key i changed), but then the problem came back a few weeks later.

So again, i searched for a solution. And then i found a forum telling me all sorts of things: http://www.colba.net...o49/ieimage.htm
On this page i tried different things in the bottom section concerning Red X in IE 6.
1) Tried finding the "Toggle Image.exe" (which i don't seem to have on my comp..hmm)
2) Tried the "Pictures are not displayed on web sites in internet explorer" link.
(i did what was written below the link about c_1252.nls etc.)
3) downloaded the recommended Java they think may cause the problem.

and after all that didn't work (maybe some other things i havn't tried on that help page can be usefull?), i tried copying all the values and names of the keys on another comp in the house. I just looked at what was on there, and changed it in mine, because i thought since both comps had winXP and IE that is supported by SP1, then things should be the same, right? ;)

Anyhow, now my registry looks like this:
In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT these are the keys i changed and this is how the folders look now:

-.gif
.....- giffile
..............- ShellNew
.....- OpenWithProgids
.....- PersistentHandler
.....- ShellEx
.....- UndoClass

-.jpe
.....- OpenWithProgids
.....- PersistentHandler
.....- UndoClass

-.jpeg
.....- jpegfile
...............- ShellNew
.....- OpenWithProgids
.....- PersistentHandler
.....- UndoClass

-.jpg
.....- jpegfile
...............- ShellNew
.....- OpenWithProgids
.....- PersistentHandler
.....- ShellEx
.....- UndoClass

These are the 4 keys i thouched, because they deal with images and i remember having touched them before so i thought if i change them again at least that will delete any previous errors i made in them.
It will be very difficult to tell you what kind of name, type and data value each string had for every folder... so what do you suggest to further show you the changes?
(printscan?)

Wow.. i hope your not too comfused by this whole thing.. :tazz:

Edited by yafim, 28 June 2005 - 01:10 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
How long ago did you alter the keys? Do you remember when you very first started having the image loading problem? Do you have system restore enabled??

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I think I altered the keys 3-5 weeks ago, somthing like that. I altered them somthing like 2 weeks after the problem happened, before i changed them to this version i tried all sorts of different things.

I can restore my system, yes, but that would mean possibly losing 20GB of programs and music, because last time i restored it, a friend of ours did it, and he told me i could lose my whole D drive, fortunatly i didn't, because the chances of that happening are low, but it could happen, and i don't wanna take that risk. I mean if you restore your system enough times your bound to lose the D drive somtime, i just got lucky last time i did it. But if there is another way to restore the system w/o losing data, then tell me.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Lose the D: drive from System Restore? Hmm don't know where he heard that one. But, yes, using system restore you will lose any recently downloaded programs/files - however you can back up those files onto CD before using system restore so that you don't lose them... it's this or a repair install of XP.

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hmm..well you see, last time i did a restore (maybe i'm not talking about the same kind of restore you are) the guy had to bring a cd with him and all that, and he told me while the restore was going, the D drive can crash, meaning i'll lose everything in it... i can't back up 20GB of stuff on cds.

So your saying i can do this restore myself?
And what will i lose exactly? if for example i downloaded a lot of music on my d drive recently will i lose that?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
We're talking about a completely different kind of restore here lol The restore I'm talking about does not require the XP CD. But, the music you downloaded recently would need to be backed up as well as any programs you've downloaded recently.

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Okay, so what is the restore your talking about?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I apologize, it's 2 in the morning and I was just informed that your personal data files (ie music) will be fine :tazz:

First, I would like to see how far back your system restore goes...

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

When the window opens up make sure it's clicked next to "Restore my computer to an earlier time" then click NEXT (we are NOT actually restoring right now) on the next screen will be a little calendar. On that calendar, don't click the dates, just click the arrow pointing left on the left-side and tell me how far it goes back. But do not do anything yet, just click "cancel".

Advertisements

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
okay, i clicked the left arrow and it got me back to may, 2005, and the marked date is 31.
but it tells me on the screen next to the calendar that i installed a game on that day, does this mean i can restore my system to that point?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
How many times did you click that arrow? It only went back a month!? Keep clicking the arrow and see if you can go back further than a month.

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Yep, i'm telling you, only one month.
Maybe it's because i last restored it 2 months ago or somthing...

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Do you want to try restoring back to May 31?? We may have to clean your system again, though.

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hmm.. well i'd probably want to restore it as far back as possible, but i can choose in the calendar a date even earlier then may 31, somthing like may 25 i think...