Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo Messenger

• Please log in to reply

Expressions_of_Death

Expressions_of_Death

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey,

ok i stupidly deleted yahoo messenger from my computer when i was frustrated b/c the "voice chat" icon had suddenly dissapeared from my IM screens..so i decided i wasnt "mad" at yahoo anymore and i wanted it back..so i downloaded the installation wizard or whatever its called and it was installing and everything was going good but then at the end (when it shows u the installation results) it said it wasnt successful..can anyone help? :tazz:

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Check to first make sure that you have Yahoo! Messenger fully uninstalled from the computer - go to Start, Control Panel then to Add or Remove Programs. If the program is still listed, remove it. Otherwise, head to My Computer, then C:\ Drive and delete off any remaining Yahoo! components. You can also try downloading a utility like CCleaner or WinASO to clear up any loose ends from the registry. You can also do this the easier way by downloading an uninstaller program to do it for you - try a free download of Your Uninstaller 2004. Then try reinstalling a fresh copy of Yahoo! Messenger.

It could also be some sort of malware that's interfering with your installation process, although the chance of that happening is pretty slim. Just in case, download any free anti-spyware program such as Webroot Spy Sweeper (free trial available at download.com) and let it scan through your hard drives. For a more thorough check, read the instructions here.

Otherwise, it could simply be an error on Yahoo!'s part. Wait a day or two before attempting another reinstall, or you can try downloading the program from a mirror site (do a search on Google), although this isn't recommended as some dubious websites may try sneaking some spyware into the download alongside the software itself.

Other likely causes? A bad download manager (Mozilla Firefox, for all its advantages, has a pretty lousy download manager, and Internet Explorer has a notorious reputation for screwing up even the simplest of processes at times), lack of RAM or hard disk space, or it could even be possible that it was only that first reinstallation of Yahoo! Messenger that met with an error. Try reinstalling the program a few more times to make sure that it wasn't just a temporary bug that disrupted the downloading process.

Expressions_of_Death

Expressions_of_Death

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i made sure everything was gone and it wasnt in the add/remove programs thingy and i DID have to delete some of the yahoo stuff but now its saying something about DLL is not here or something when i clicked on the instal thing again..but once again it went through the installation but the yahoo tool bar and yahoo messenger were not installed..and i tried to instal beta or w/e its called the second time and it still didnt work..

Expressions_of_Death

Expressions_of_Death

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh and i also did an adware/spyware and virus scan and there were some problems..well actually alot of problems but they r fixed now..i hope..and i used netscape to download it.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay - about the missing DLL file. Try reinstalling Yahoo! Messenger again, and when they tell you about that one DLL file that's not on your system, take note of the name (write it down, whatever) and do a search for it here. Download the missing DLL component, unzip the file (it should come in a compressed folder) and extract it into the correct folder as directed by the instructions on the website. Take note that the website will tell you to use ExpressZip to unzip the file - this isn't necessary. A regular file-extracting program such as WinZip, normally built into Windows XP itself, will do the job just fine.

If the download process is still being interrupted, try posting a HijackThis log over here. Read the instructions very clearly before proceeding - available here. Scroll down to the section on HijackThis for instructions on how to download the program and post your topic correctly. Once your thread is up, an expert should be helping you analyze and evaluate your log in a while. Once they've pronounced your PC clean, do a fresh reinstallation of Yahoo! Messenger again.

If your computer still cannot process the Yahoo! Messenger download properly even after doing all of the above, try going to their help pages. Normally they'll have a section on technical support that will answer some of the common issues met with downloading their software. As a last resort, you can try sending them an e-mail regarding your problem, if the issue still persists.