Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot enter safe mode

• Please log in to reply

infinity01

infinity01

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,
I am using P4 2.4Ghz/512mb ram/Win XP Pro.
After pressing F8, I get to enter safe mode. However, no matter which of the safe mode I select, the computer stops at \system32\driver\agp440.sys, and at the bottom it says "esc loading of a347bus.sys", if I press esc, it says "esc loading of a344bus.sys". If I press esc, it will eventually reboot without entering safe mode. If I do not press anything, it will also reboot. I tried deleting and replacement them (I checked and they are drivers for alcohol and daemon tools), but it didn't work. Therefore, what should I do in order to get into safe mode.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Why do you want to get into safe mode?

infinity01

infinity01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My window xp repair was not complete because a power failure occurred during the repair and reset my computer. Now, when I turn on my computer, a blue screen will show up saying "setup is being restarted....." and then it reboots, and it loops infinitely. So I tried to enter safe mode so I could at least do some backup, but it didn't work.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
last good configuration? worth a try

infinity01

infinity01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried, but it didn't work. Thanks though.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is a second thread, right? Seems similar to another problem.

I'm guessing that leaving the cd in failed....OK.

http://www.tweakxp.c...icle153115.aspx

On this page you will find a disk image for a recovery console only cd. Download it and create a cd from the image.

Got a floppy drive in this thing?

infinity01

infinity01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I left that problem aside because I want to access safe mode to backup my files at least.

Is this disk image for people who do not have a winxp cd? Because I have the winxp cd and I can access recovery console from it.

I also have a floppy drive.

My apologies for creating this new thread.

infinity01

infinity01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
One more question, if my winxp repair is interrupted, will opening winnt.exe resume the final part of windows xp installation or will it lead to a clean installation?