Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can mouse have power?

• Please log in to reply

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok I wont go into all the details see Post 52 question but I now only have the cpu with fan on top fan not plugged in video card (which is not the problem because I have tried this one) and the power supply connected. Yet when I plug in just the mouse the blue light that light up when in operation is always on. It does not do this on other cpu. I dont even have the power switch or usb cables connected. Is it the power supply or did I install the board wrong. Socket a put in screws I dont see how. The chaintech sight and one post here mentioned the fan on the cpu maybe not being attached right or so tight that the memory would not seed right the memory seeded just fine. The bios recognized processor. It is tight though. I figured if I can get the mouse from always getting power maybe thats why xp wont install for my safety or on H.D that already has xp wont let it start. Why does my mouse have constant power? Motherboard is chaintech ct-7NJL6 400 watt power supply

Edited by ninertexanfan, 25 June 2005 - 12:50 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You most likely have it connected to the 5volt standby power, which it definitely shouldn't be, it only has limited output and you may damage the supply or affect the output voltage.

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok to me this makes no sense. What is connected to 5 volts. The keyboard is in the keyboard slot on the back teh motherboard is connected via the only plug it can be connected by where I am at now is I have xp installed new nividia drivers installed new direct x installed hit city of hereos and it locks up. Cpu still shows only 1.19 mxz instead of 1.99 and it locked up on the last rebott after getting locked in city of hereos

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I don't know what type of mouse you use but PS2 ports and USB ports are powered (ie power is supplied from the psu to these ports via the motherboard). Also, when most systems are turned off (soft off as opposed to off at the mains) there is still a standby current supplied to the board (+5V). The reason the mouse is still receiving power when off, is probably due to either a bios setting or a jumper setting. EG if the system is set to power on from mouse/keyboard for example.

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to check the temperature of whats important in the CPu and what good temperatures are? My bios does not have this feature.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Go to this link
http://www.chaintech...LI.asp?DISNo=62

Its the hardware monitoring utility download for your motherboard. It should give you temperature readings for the cpu & system.
For an athlon, you should be getting cpu temps of around 50C. If they are rising to above 60C at any point, you may need to either upgrade the heatsink/fan or at least replace the thermal paste with a good quality compound.

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I dowloaded the program and it does not support my motherboard.Is there another program you could recomend? . I am up and running, but I still dont know how to get it to recognize my CPU at 1.99mhz instead of 1.19 also when I run city of hereos it freezes sometimes it will recover and let me shut down most of the time once it just shut down the CPU I am going to exchange video cards now with this machine to see if that fixes the problem and will get back online in a few hours oh my motherboard is a ct-7njl6. Finally i have e mailed and called chainteck and have never gotten a response with either method. I even tried calling there sales department and left a message. Is there a board someone could recomend 60.00 or lower that will work with a Sempron 2800+ cpu and pc 2700 memory that has cpu temp check in the bios and is a decent company?

Edited by ninertexanfan, 27 June 2005 - 10:21 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies for the chaintech utility - there site is a total nightmare for finding anything.

I'm looking into other monitoring utilities now, but in the meantime, can you confirm what the CPU FSB setting is set to (jumper on motherboard - JP3).
Also, the bios version - I believe only V2.0 will support Sempron CPUs correctly.

Edited by Samm, 27 June 2005 - 11:57 AM.