Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't convert rm to vcd

• Please log in to reply

ashish

ashish

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have this video in *.rm format and i want to convert it into vcd format.

I have installed and tried several tools like ULTRA RM CONVERTER, POWER VIDEO CONVERTER, ETC. but all the programs return same type of error. Actually i don't know the error coz whenever it occurs XP asks to whether report it or not after any choice i make the program closes directly, The error occurs mostly at the time i startconverting or sometime when i start any of the CConverting programs. It occurs randomly but always because of these video tools.

i had recently tried to tweak my XP services setting by duiabling some of the services as suggested by a site. I think there is my problem.

But if there is the problem then what service should i start.

Pls help.

U need that video desperately.

Advertisements

ashish

ashish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Haven't got any reply yet.

This is the first time that after soo long i haven't got any relpy.

Anyways, I have noticed another thing. The thing is that all of the video converting tools i have tried they return the error only when i source file is in rm format.

when i try to convert avi to som eanother format it works fine.

but the rm file plays perfectly.

pls help.

give suggetsions

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Having done a bit of video converting, but not with; .rm, I can think of several possibilities. You may need codecs for your software. They may have to be downloaded ind installed seperately or they may come with a particualr player. You made need an update from the mobo, computer mfr or the software mfr to do the conversion. You may need an update from the OS mfr to do conversion. Most likely what you're missing is a few .dll files. You best friend here is Google!

One thing I've found is that the best conversion is done by converting the video first into an uncompressed rgb.avi format, basically a sequence of bitmaps, then converting it to the final format. The rgb.avi contains ALL the information in the original video and may be as large as 60 times the original format. You may need more than one application to do this.

ashish

ashish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thx for ur info.

I installed a software with almost all the video codecs . I found it on www.free-codecs.com ( Mega Codecs Pack).

But to no avail.

I have observed that the problem occurs only when the source file is in rm format and doesn't occur when trying with other formats like avi and wmv.

Ihave also tried to convert using all of different codecs available as options when converting but the same problem arises.

The converter returns an error and XP asks to send a report or not and then the program disppears .

Does it seem to be any hardware problem.

But all the videos of any formats play well .

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the error is windows trying to send a minidump back to microsoft.

If you want to see what the error is, note time, try to convert a rm, then

start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

look for a red x in the event viewer under APPLICATION or SYSTEM that occured at the above noted time

I suspect the info will not be of much use---just the application failed.

Try this for converting

http://www.riverpast...vert/rm/wmv.php

perhaps the RM video is corrupted