Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CS:Source/BF2 demo Trouble with Server List

• Please log in to reply

polloloco

polloloco

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently installed a router. I am connected through that to a cable modem.

Prior to the router i was able to find game servers (namely Counter-Strike) with no problem.

Now, when i refresh or try to retrieve a new server list, i only get a few servers (between 10 - 300) all displaying pings greater than 1000.

However, when i put those servers in my favorites, and refresh the favorites list a few times it shows me the true ping of my "favorited" servers.

However, when i'm connected to a server (assuming i've connected to one that actually has good ping), the ping is perfectly fine.

The same thing happens with the Battle Field 2 demo except that thanks to the "wonderful" interface, there is no such thing as favorites or bookmarked servers.

I'm guessing that it might be a port forwarding issue (?) but none of the people i know who run behind a router have had issues retrieving server lists and did not need to port forward.

Your kind help is much appreciated!

Advertisements

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hmmm, i can see why your concerned thats a pain in alocated sitting area. but im not sure exactly what it could be. What kinda router are you using and how did you configure it? because i know in order to host a server you need to aloow some ports from your router and you may have blocked some incoming ones. I think( not positive ) but when you first install CS doesnt it say somehting like "Your Configured Behind a Firewall Would You Like To Have Your Computer Reconfigured to allow stuff" i dont know exaclty what it is. unless that was the windows firewall thing. oh maybe it was. hmm well i dunno tell me wat your router is and ill see if i can help.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
update the firmware for your router. this could resolve many issues.

also set your gaming pc into the dmz.

^tree

^tree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Omg i cant beleive i didnt think of that. Well i guess you are the IT professional lol.

polloloco

polloloco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much for the help!

I'm using an Airlink+ AR315W wireless router, however the computer I'm using is connected via ethernet cable.

The firmware is the most recent version.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is DMZ (lol i'm sure you don't mean demilitarized zone)?

polloloco

polloloco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just looked up DMZ and i guess de militarized zone is comp. lingo too (was thinking of the kind between north and south korea)! Gonna try enabling it now.

polloloco

polloloco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was the DMZ!

I enabled it for this comp, and everything works fine now.

Thank you very much for your help!