Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pest Patrol

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i have a toshiba intel pentium 4 notebook, 512 RAM, 1.9 ghz Windows xp.

As designated by work I use the Norton Premier Systemworks with NAV, Win Patrol, Adaware SE free, Spybot Free, Spyware Blaster, Win Patrol, a2, Win Patrol. and as an occasional alternate I use the purchase version of Panda Active Scan Pro,Spysweeper and Panda Tru Prevent Personal.
I must say that this latter program of Panda has been a problem from the first day after the updates show a healthy computer and then after a couple of days the program goes into a medium risk advisory and it is suggested that I update. The program is set to auto update but it does not and so then I try manual and it does not work.
Anyone use this program??

Apart from these programs I was wondering if I should install Pest Patrol?

Any comments on these queries??

I should say that Panda's support on Tru Prevent has been lousy and this goes back to April!!

Regards

Advertisements

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I still got panda, it does the same thing, don't know why it dosn't update and i can't uninstall it! :tazz:

I haven't really seen pest patrol working and so i can't comment on. But maybe someone else has?

Edited by TogTogTogTog, 25 June 2005 - 05:45 AM.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi peps

It is more than likelly that Norton Premier Systemworks with NAV or your firewall is blocking panda update .

Kc :tazz:

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Do you mean eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware? Personally, I don't recommend it. Yes, it is an efficient antispyware tool, but jeezus, the program has got a TON of false alarms. It detects every single file-sharing or P2P software such as Shareaza and LimeWire as malware, and those not being careful with what they're doing can easily wipe out the programs from their machine without noticing it.

That having being said, I suppose you could always use PestPetrol for an added layer of security over your machine, since one antispyware tool can find stuff that another doesn't and vice versa. But please, if you do decide do use it, do make sure you know exactly what you are deleting from your computer. And given the reviews I've had of it from friends, the Internet (mostly from download.com), chances are you are probably going to be getting oodles of false positives from this one.

If you really, absolutely must have another antispyware tool on your PC, I'd suggest a program like Microsoft AntiSpyware instead. It is free (and will remain free), offers real-time protection and does a pretty decent job at clearing up all that pesky malware. I've been using it on my computer for a few months now and it has worked like a dream. Only thing is, it is a beta and is still in developing, so users might not feel wholly secure using it. But - what the heck? It is one pretty awesome beta. :tazz:

Other recommendations also include Webroot Spy Sweeper.

taff

taff

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Webroot Spy Sweeper is indeed a great app..
but i still have no much problem with pest patrol...
you can train it to not detect programs... It one of the best...