Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm building a rather large wireless network.

• Please log in to reply

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright.

Hello, my name is Joshua, and I need some help designing my network.

The issues:

Basically, my neighbor is able to get broadband, but I'm not able too, as my house is 800ft off the road, therefore, it's not "worth" hooking us up.

The deal:

We talked to our neighbors, and agreed on setting up a wireless network that will let us have broadband. As long as we pay for all of the equipment.

The envierment:

Basically, our two houses are about 800 to 1,000 feet apart, across a non-busy road, and through fairly thick woods.

The network:

So, here is something that I designed, but I need your help / input / and products that I will need.

House 1 > Cable Modem > Powerful Wireless Router > Powerful Wirless Access Point (in the middle of the woods) > Powerful Wirless Access Point (at the edge of the woods) and the signal should cover my small house.

The equipment:

So, basically, I don't know what brands I should use, nor what routers, remember I need extremely powerful routers, as I need a fairly decent signal.

Thanks in advanced, thank you very much.

- Josh

PS:

My budget is around $500.00 ...

Advertisements

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I know there are some antenna's out there you can put on your house that range around 2000ft, but i think those cost a little more than whta you wanna spend.

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
To be honest, we tried it. It worked until the foliage grew in too thickly.

So, we have two 17dbi/20dbi antenna's on hand already.

Thank you for your input.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, I am not quite sure about the specifics, but I know that Motorola makes wireless devices capable of sending wireless signals up to 15 miles. We use this technology where I am located, and I know others use it too. This equipment can be used either as a large WAN that has an access point connected to a T1, or it can be used as a smaller WAN that can connect point A to point B. I do know that they do make non-line-of-site access points that this equipment can pick up using the SM (located on users house) and an antenna that ranges out to about 5-10 miles. I'm not sure of the equipment pricing, but if it is in your range, I would suggest that. If you didn't have thick foliage, you could get the SMs for about $200 apiece (i think), and not even need the antenna or a small dish to reach 800 to $1000. But you have to have a line of site.

The only other thing that I could suggest, would be to find a couple of adapters that use ThickNet. This is an older technology using a thick coax cable and vampire taps, but it ranges up to 500m .

Greazy Mcgeezy

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the info Greazy.

I guess my question becomes...

Can I go; Wireless router to wireless access point to wireless access point... Wirelessly of course, and still be able to share internet access?

Thank you for your time.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
The answer to the question is probably. Depending on signals and such, and also figuring in the rules of networking and using too many repeaters/amplifiers. You may be cutting it close. Have you taken estimates of distances that you know you can get connection in heavy foilage? You may be dealing with more hassle than you think going wireless, unless you want to remove some trees and put in the Motorola Equipment I was telling you about. I would recommend some type of cable, heck for all the money that you may end up spending on routers, wireless devices, then maybe still having to clear trees, you might could get enough fiber line and pvc and run you a trench through the woods.

Greazy Mcgeezy

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hehe, yeah, very true.

I drew this up the other night, it's kind've cheap, but it works...

Please view the attachment.

Attached Thumbnails

• network.gif

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you mix gasoline with styrofoam pellets you can make enough napalm to clear the forrest for pretty cheap....but yeah...Greazy's idea for thiknet sounds a little easier to maintain than sticking wireless devices in the woods.

reason number 1 is that you will have to run electrical out to the wireless devices so they aren't really wireless. pluss you will have to get multiple pieces of equipment where as with the thiknet network you only have to work with a really long piece of coax

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can you point me in the right direction?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the napalm or the thicknet?

Advertisements

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Both? ;-)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
haha
well the general ratio for my napalm recipes is 4:1 (gasoline to styrofoam)

the thicknet you're gonna need to give us a while....been a while since ive had to mess with it

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright.

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts