Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wont boot past memory counting

• Please log in to reply

tubaboy2005

tubaboy2005

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I built my computer in February, and until about 3 weeks ago it was working fine. One morning, I turn it on and I can hear it count the memory, but there is no POST warning. I try unplugging everything, replacing everything except the mother board and processor. Even with everything unplugged, even the processor, the computer wont get to the post. I sent in the motherboard to chaintech, its a chaintech SPT800 motherboard, and they sent one back to me. I'm not sure if its the same one but they said that they were replacing it. I got one back, and tried plugging everything in, and it still doesn't work. I took the memory out and there is a very long beep from the speaker, I guess thats the POST messege for memory problem, I tried swapping memory between the slots, but the only way the sound comes is when all memory is out. If you know whats going on please reply to this.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Firstly, your system won't post unless the CPU, video, RAM is installed anyway.

I suggest you try this :

Install the CPU with its heatsink & fan, one stick of RAM in slot 1, the video card, power supply, monitor, keyboard.

Locate the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard - this is the jumper marked JP1 in the bottom right corner of your motherboard.

Disconnect the psu ATX connector from the motherboard, place the clear cmos jumper over pins 2-3 for at least 10 seconds, then replace the jumper back over pins 1-2.

Make sure the system speaker is connected. Reconnect the PSU's 20pin ATX connector & fire up the system. (make sure the 4 pin CPU power connector is plugged in as well)

If you still don't get the screen to appear, try a different stick of memory. Also try reseating the video card.
Let me know if you hear any beeps etc

tubaboy2005

tubaboy2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried doing all of that, but the video still isn't working, and I tried moving sticks to every possible variation, but still nothing happens. No sounds unless there is no memory at all.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tried a different video card?

tubaboy2005

tubaboy2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried different video cards pci and agp, my current one is agp.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, if you have eliminated the video & memory as a possible cause, and it doesn't sound like its the PSU either to me, then it would suggest either the motherboard is faulty or the CPU.

Is there any chance the cpu could have overheated at any time - has it been swapped between boards without the thermal compound being renewed, for example? Or have you had any overheating issues with it in the past?

tubaboy2005

tubaboy2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I swapped out the cpu with another computer with the same socket, but the same thing happens. I can not think of a time where it could have overheated, and the cpu and motherboard were new when I bought them.