Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer restarts randomly HELP!

• Please log in to reply

ihardy

ihardy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
my pc keeps restarting randomly. i have heard that dust on the hardware can cause the computer hardware to overheat. my mate has said that this thing called Air Duster (http://www.maplin.co...=25351&doy=23m6) can clean my hardware of dust what do you think?.

PS: please help

Advertisements

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Try posting this in Malware
It could be dust but its more likly to be a virus,

Read This

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have SP2 installed, tap F8 at boot and choose "disable auto restart after system failure". Write down the blue screen error message if you get one, and post back.

To clean out dust, open the case and work carefully. Compressed air isn't my favorite way to clean a dirty comp- sometimes it just rearranges the crud.
Johanna

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
i am just about to try disableing auto restart but now the pc is making a continous noise. it sounds like it is coming from the fan

i have done virus checks but i am all clean. my antivirus is upto date

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi and Welcome,

Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or power supply. You need to investigate each to find out which one is causing the reboot. If you go to my computer right click it, choose manage, and look at the event viewer you will probably see red x's right click those and choose properties this will tell you detailed info on what is causing the crash. You can also send a message to Microsoft and look at their knowledge base for additional details and possible solutions.

Another thing to try, but be careful because if the PC is overheating then this may cause more damage then good. So before you try doing this, make sure the PC isn't crashing due to overheating.

If your running Windows XP try this:

Open Control Panel\System\Advanced tab\startup & recovery box\settings button, and take the check out of Automatically restart box. Then check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes.
This will force a BSOD on the next crash (thats why it restarts...its crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code.

Post that here word-4-word including punctuation and letter case. We can research that.

Good luck! :tazz:

B