Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with Installing XP on SATA drive.

• Please log in to reply

DaveSouth

DaveSouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
GOOD NEWS

I poped in a clean older 8gb IDE drive, and XP installed, no problems at all. I'm now operating on my actual PC. Now to install XP to the sata drive. I feel safe knowing its not my hardware! woo hoo!

down to business>

Is there a way i can install XP to the SATA drive (or at least the drivers for the HD) from this OS (the XP on the 8GB IDE)?

p.s. thanks for the advise on using an old HD. I feel much better now :tazz:

EDIT: I installed the drivers for the sata drive into this version of windows (on the 8gb drive) and it reconises the SATA drive. I can explore it! its completely empty except for a Windows/ dir.

EDIT:

NEW OBJECTIVE:

for those of you just joinng, I will sum up whats going on here (because the [bleep] is piled high)

Basically, I am unable to install the SATA drivers during setup. For some reason they will not copy from the floppy disk.

SO: my new mission is to find a way to put the XP setup files on the SATA disk, along with the drivers. I'm hoping this will be ALOT easier now that I can browse the disk from a working version of XP.

If I can get the setup files with the SATA drivers, I should be in good shape.

Edited by DaveSouth, 26 June 2005 - 03:22 PM.

Advertisements

FaTaLsHoT

FaTaLsHoT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How about just using a RAID HD then?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
still think you're better off removing the partition now...then trying the install again, allowing windows setup to create the partition and format.

DaveSouth

DaveSouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED

Once I had a working OS on my machine, solving the problem was a snap.

The problem was Windows was -for some reason or another- not copying the SATA drivers during setup; and would therefore fail to go any further (bein unable to detect the drive.)

What I had to do to fix it:

1. Install windows XP to a separate, old IDE HD

2. Boot into that version of XP and create a custom Windows XP CD that had my drivers on it already (see nLite)

3. Boot the Custom XP CD and install XP onto the SATA drive.

Just for future refrence, this is how you do it. :tazz:

bear6009

bear6009

• Pip
  • 1 posts

PROBLEM SOLVED

Once I had a working OS on my machine, solving the problem was a snap.

The problem was Windows was -for some reason or another- not copying the SATA drivers during setup; and would therefore fail to go any further (bein unable to detect the drive.)

What I had to do to fix it:

1. Install windows XP to a separate, old IDE HD

2. Boot into that version of XP and create a custom Windows XP CD that had my drivers on it already (see nLite)

3. Boot the Custom XP CD and install XP onto the SATA drive.

Just for future refrence, this is how you do it.  :tazz:

View Post

OK
i am having the SAME exact problem with the sata drivers
seems like you got it fixed.
i am not use to nlight.
is there anyway youcould go in to a bit more detail on how exactly you fix your probelm.