Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
In our apartment, we have cable Internet. It connects into a router, and we feed off the connection from there. The computer at the moment obviously has Internet, it always has worked fine. I brought a computer home today(both computers running XP Pro) and when I plugged it in, it connected to the network, i.e. obtained an IP address, however I cannot connect to the Internet. I'm not sure why it's not working. I've brought home our work laptop before(using XPHome) and once I plugged the network cable in, it worked fine.
I've gone to internet network setup, and done the whole connect manually, connect to a connection that is always on, but still no luck.
If I plug the connection straight into the cable box, I get limited or no connectivity, but the computer that was originally here, it connects that way fine.
ANother thing, the IP address of this working computer is 24.(value).0.(value), the subnet mask is 255.255.240.0, and the default gateway is 24.(value).0.(value).
When the other computer connects to the network, it's IP address is 192.168.0.some value, and the mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 192.168.0.1.
Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Seems like you know what your doing...

So try changing your non-working computer's ip to 24.(value).0.(value) (one higher eg 24.168.0.24 change to 24.168.0.25) the subnet mask to 255.255.240.0, and the default gateway to 24.(value).0.(value).

To change your Ip go to

Control Panel
Network Connections
Local Area Network (or whatever your internet connection is)
Properties
Select Interent Protocol(TCP/IP) and click properties and change the settings.

Good Luck :tazz:

Edited by TogTogTogTog, 25 June 2005 - 05:45 PM.

mickyjtwin

mickyjtwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried that already, sorry, didn't put that in before. Still didn't work.