Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to convert WAV file to CD?

• Please log in to reply

TJS

TJS

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I have recently purchased tracks in WAV format from Beatport.com. I would now like to convert them to CD (NOT MP3) while reataing all sound quality. What is the format that I am converting this to and how do I do that? I have Roxio (which won't let me convert) and Blaze Media.

I have also downloaded Itunes but isn't that just converting the music to an MP3 type of format? I'm trying to retain the sound quality from the WAV file.

Thanks! :tazz:
-T.

Advertisements

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Converting to CD persay would simply involve burning a CD from the WAV files. There are no actual CD files. You might have seen .cda files in Windows. This is Windows' way of representing the audio tracks on a CD. You can keep the wav files on your computer because they are in essence totally uncompressed audio. However to save space you could convert them to .mp3 or some other lossy format.

TJS

TJS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Converting to CD persay would simply involve burning a CD from the WAV files. There are no actual CD files. You might have seen .cda files in Windows. This is Windows' way of representing the audio tracks on a CD. You can keep the wav files on your computer because they are in essence totally uncompressed audio. However to save space you could convert them to .mp3 or some other lossy format.

View Post

I'm a DJ who is making the switch to digital and want the highest quality when using on my digital turntables. When you say "simply involving", I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. Am I converting the WAV files to CDA? WMA? What is the highest quality (MP3 is completely out of the question) of these formats?
I have Roxio, Blaze Media, ITunes...none of them just say convert to CD. When I do, it copies the WAV files and they do not play on my equipment. Do I compress these WAV files to something else?

Basically, there is no one button I can click on any of these programs that just converts itI'm feeling a bit stooopid here... :tazz:

Thanks!

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
You've already got the highest quality copy of the song :tazz:. WAV is a completely uncompressed audio file. You cannot convert to CDA as it is not an actual format and WMA is the same as mp3, compressed and lower in quality. WAV sounds like what you want.

EDIT: If your turntables involve playing CDs themselves then use Roxio to create an audio CD from the wav files.

Edited by Chadduss, 25 June 2005 - 06:36 PM.

TJS

TJS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Chaddus,

How can I make an exact copy of the WAV file to an audio CD? I've used Roxio and made just a straight copy and see that the extension is CDA. It plays on my turntables but what is cda and is it an exact copy of the WAV?

Please note that I only want the same quality as what I bought with the WAV's.

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
If you have done as you say then you have indeed created an audio CD. This is the exact quality as the WAV you have bought. CDA files are just a representation of the audio tracks of a CD. Seems you have figured everything out for yourself, congratulations :tazz:

TJS

TJS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
haha, :tazz: so, just to make sure, CDA is the same quality as WAV? No loss, distortions, etc...

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Yes, CDA is just the "burned onto a CD version".

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
You're good to go TJS! Have fun :tazz:

TJS

TJS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks all! ;) :tazz: Here's another thing, the track info doesn't get converted, how can I change the names (or are they called tags?)?