Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS 2000 PRO \ NORTON GHOST 2003

• Please log in to reply

VINCIE007

VINCIE007

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hello,

I have a ghost image that I want to deploy on several pcs with the exact hardware. How do I use ghost writer to rename pc and remove the SID. I tried to insert a floppy with Ghstwalk.exe, I run the command, but I get unable to write error?

Any suggestions? The image is on a shared folder on a pc, I map to it with a floppy no problem and create\deploy with no issues, just having a problem with removing the SID and renaming when I use the second floppy with Ghstwalk.exe on it.

I don't have the resource kit to use sysprep.

Thanks

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Norton Ghost should automatically remove the SID's. I used sysprep to prepare the image which removes the SID's but you still need to change the machine name.

I am not sure why you are getting the error!

normally there is a disk which you need to boot from then point it to where the image is. what is your setup?

VINCIE007

VINCIE007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'm gonna try a new ghost disk tomorrow, the one I use is to map to the shared folder. I'm also going to try and use sysprep 1.1

To create the bootable floppy disk using Norton Ghost 2002 or 2003

Click Start > Programs > Norton Ghost 2002 or 2003 > Norton Ghost.
In the left pane, click Ghost Utilities.
In the right pane, click Norton Ghost Boot Wizard.
In the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard window, select Standard Ghost Boot Disk, and then click Next.
Click Next in the Additional Services window. If USB or LPT support is required, click Advanced and select the appropriate options.
In the DOS Version window, select Use PC-DOS, and then click Next. If you require a MS-DOS boot disk, click Get MS-DOS and insert a bootable MS-DOS boot disk into drive A.
In the Ghost executable location window, verify that the path to Ghost.exe is correct. Type the Ghost Parameters you want to use. For more information on Ghost parameters, read the document Switches: Alphabetical list of switches. After all your selections are made, click Next.
In the Destination Drive window, click Next. Insert a floppy disk into the floppy disk drive.
In the Review window, verify the information you selected, and then click Next. A Ghost Boot Wizard dialog box appears informing you that a second disk will be required for the Ghost executable. Click OK on this screen.
In the Format window, verify the settings, and then click Start.
Click OK when the Format complete screen appears.
Click Close when the Format window reappears. Ghost will copy the necessary boot files to the first floppy disk and you will be prompted to insert the second disk.
Click OK after inserting the second disk. Repeat steps 9 through 11 to format the second disk.
Click Finish.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
are the ghost boot disk and ghost walker.exe files on differant disks in the case i use them they generally are seperate anyway what i do is after exiting ghost u get the dos screen if u type "cd.." then hit enter type "ghstwalker.exe" and it should load hope this helps.

VINCIE007

VINCIE007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I used sysprep to remove the SID, Image is ok now.

Thanks