Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL Modem Administration

• Please log in to reply

klinger454

klinger454

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to setup a way to administer my DSL modem from behind my router so I dont have to keep plugging one of the computers directly into the modem to setup the connection after an outage. I believe I need to use a static route. Here is my setup.

DSL modem IP: 192.168.0.1 (when the computer is directly connected to the modem, this is how i log in)
Router LAN IP: 192.168.1.1

These are the options my router has for a static route:

Private (unchecked, since the DSL modem is on the other side of the router)
Active (checked, because I want it to work, lol)
Destination IP (192.168.0.1)
Subnet mask (not sure what to put here)
Gateway IP: (192.168.1.1)
Metric: (2)

If someone knows how to do this, could you please verify these settings or tell me how to change them.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Here is the deal, your router doesn't need a static route to get to the modem. It's already there, it's being represented by the line that states:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

This is called the default route. It's stating that any host on a network other than 192.168.1.0 needs to be pushed out through interface 192.168.1.1.

So your internal traffic can already get to the modem. The modem is what needs to have a static route on it. Being that your modem is 192.168.0.1, I will assume that the external interface on your router is 192.168.0.2. But it can be anything similar. That being said, you should have a route on your modem that looks like this:

This states, that if the modem needs direct communication with a host on the 192.168.1.0 network, then it needs to send that to interface 192.168.0.2 (which should be the external on the router.) From there, your router knows what hosts are on the internal network and where to send the information.

Greazy Mcgeezy