Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hidden files in System32?[CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ericy5150

ericy5150

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My antivirus and Adaware detected and cleaned the Win32 Alcan.a virus, but my system32 folder is still hidden. I read that the virus creates files like cmd.com, regedit.com, etc..which are all 1 kb.. to the folder and hides it and them. After cleaning with Antivirus and getting rid of dz.dll, my virus, spyware scans show nothing, but like I said the System32 file is still hidden.
Are any files in System32 supposed to be hidden??

There are some manifest files that are 1 kb and hidden also, which is why I ask. Here is a list of the hidden files(1 kb each):

cmd.com
ping.com
regedit.com
taskkill.com
tasklist.com
tracert.com
netstat.com
sapi.cpl.manifest
wuaucpl.cpl.manifest
cdplayer.exe.manifest
logonui.exe.manifest
ncpa.cpl.manifest
nwc.cpl.manifest
WindowsLogon.manifest

A new curiosity...when I go to print something, even though it's printing..an error message popped up saying the file was unable to print..the print quality was not good though.

How safe am I in just deleting these files and if I've found nothing else on scans, will this change my System32 folder back to being visible?

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
Duplicate post. User being helped here: http://www.geekstogo...LP_-t39397.html

~Kristy