Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sparatic Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply

Wes2000

Wes2000

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
On my dads new dell laptop, he will get a great connection for a little while, then it will just go dead it seems for a few minutes and then comes back in and out constantly. We have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz broadband router and Sbc Yahoo DSL. Unfortunatly that is our only wireless computer so I cant test it on another, but the connection from the router to other wired computers is great. Any advise? Thanks.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
That is something that has been happening alot. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, but it's affecting alot of users. I would check to make sure that if you have encryption on, turn it off and see if it works better. It could be extra options in the router that is causing this. My suggestion would be to plug it directly to wire and see if you get the same thing. Make sure you disable the wireless connection and enable the wired connection if you try this. I've never been a big fan of wireless because of this reason. With a wire, at least you know you are physically connected.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hmm thanks, I will try this. Its just wierd that when we first got the laptop it did this, then ran fine about 2 weeks, now is doing it again. I think its our DSL service, it seems to be really letting us down latly.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
No, I don't think it's your DSL service, if all the wired computers work fine, then it's more than likely an issue between the laptop and wireless card. Try connecting the laptop with a cable instead of wireless and see if it behaves differently.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well, the wired computers get problems too, all though not as much. I constantly get dropped from MSN, and at first I thought it was just MSN, but now whenever i get dropped from MSN I check my downloads I got going and they get dropped too. It takes about 10 seconds and they it comes back on.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Did you make sure to place filters in the phone lines in between each phone you have plugged into the wall in your house? If all phones do not have filters on them you will have these types of problems.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
really? ALL of them have to have them?

well, thats a lotta lines :tazz:

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
also another a cordless phone could possibly be messing with the wireless.