Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dual core and pro

• Please log in to reply

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I heard on another forum someone mentioned that you need windows xp Professional to unlock the full capabilities of the new Pentium Dual Core processor sadly I installed home on my new rig but I came here for more expert advice ..if anyone knows this to be true please let me know so I can upgrade.. thanks.

Advertisements

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I'm very sorry but I'm getting frustrated with another problem as well. I've been searching the internet literally for over 45 minutes for some way to find out the hardware directx version on a couple of old video cards if anyone knows how could you help me with that as well? Again thanks.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you actually buy a dual core pentium?
If you install the cards you can easily find out if you check the box and the manufacturers website you will find the info you need.

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yes I did Buy it, and I dont have the box and the web site isn't helping.. geforce 4 mx 440 it doesn't say on the site

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the geforce four will be 7 i think, as the 5 series was 8. I may be wrong i will ask a friend who has one next time i speak to him.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that video card is directx 7, warrior is correct. here is a link. scroll down to specs at the bottom. newegg is a great source for specs like that!

as for dual core and windows, I dont know for sure. I suspect it wont matter too much, but I have not really read up on the newest cpu's. try the microsoft knowledgebase.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
I dont know who told you only XP pro supports dual thread but thats not correct(Maybe they meant only XP supports dual threaded apps)Windows 2000 supports it aswell

As for the DirectX just install the latest version (DX9c) http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

It will work with them all.

I use it on my 2 year old laptop and it only has a ATI 7500 mobile :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On the winxp pro front its pretty good ive got it on my new pc and it is runnin smooth and the boot times are lightning fast.