Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to set display properties in Win XP

• Please log in to reply

phantomas

phantomas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I've created a windows startup disk following instructions on this page http://service1.syma...001022709560139
I have never used one before, so i would appreciate it if someone told me what to do next.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I was reading through the thread and noted that in safe mode all your tabs were present. Have you looked at your task manager and compared the normal and safe mode entries. I know safe mode will have fewer, but maybe an essential service is not loading in normal mode.

makai

phantomas

phantomas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
All services running in safe mode appear in normal mode too.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok... follow the recipe below

Save data...

Reformat...

Reinstall...

Quit messing with it...

Get on with life...

:tazz: ;) ;) :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: :beer: :beer:

good luck guys! I will still watch this thread with interest!!!
makai

phantomas

phantomas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thanks Makai. :tazz: I thought this might be a solution, but i don't have the xp install cd.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You know... that was my last ditch effort. I guess none of my suggestions will help your case! ;)

The only other thing I know that will absolutely help you is for me to buy an install cd for you!

Sorry... as much as I would like to, I must do this... :tazz:

good luck,
makai

phantomas

phantomas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I have done some research on the internet and discovered that the problem is related to C:\WINDOWS\WindowsShell.manifest. Without this file Shell32.dll doesn't know to use the new version of Comctl32.dll (which supports themes) rather than the old version. By design, the new version(s) sit in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\... and the older version is in C:\WINDOWS\system32 for compatibility reasons. Anyway, i'm missing this file. Any idea about how i might restore it?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <assemblyIdentity processorArchitecture="*" version="5.1.0.0" type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Shell.shell32"/>     <description>Windows Shell</description>  <dependency>                              <dependentAssembly>                   <assemblyIdentity                 type="win32"                name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0"           publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"                processorArchitecture="*"   />                                </dependentAssembly>                  </dependency>                             </assembly>  

That is the content of my WindowsShell.manifest

Save it in your Windows folder and give it the attributes ARH (Archive, Read-Only, Hidden)

Let me know if this actually works.

Regards,

Lorijan

Lorijan

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
http://one2net.co.ug...vered2/WINDOWS/

Here is a site that has the file. It is in Uganda but everything was in English on there home page, I just assume it is OK?

I was able to copy the new newer comctl32.dll be renaming the old one and then copying the new. I didn't think that would work, I doubted I would be able to rename the file but XP let me do it. After two reboots I had my tabs back.........Thanks Makai

Good luck phantomass!

phantomas

phantomas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I simply did what Metallica said, then rebooted. I FINALLY HAVE MY TABS BACK!!! YEEEEEEEEE! Metallica thanks again. :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Man... you two guys have to throw a party now!!!!!!!!!!

:tazz: ;) ;) :help: :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah: :tazz: :beer: :beer: ;) ;) ;)

makai

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Cool. :tazz:

You found the fix. Your credit, mate.

I just confirmed it was an option and provided the file.

*admin loves an happy ending ;)

Lorijan

Lorijan

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Many thanks to all who helped with this string!!! Today is my first wedding anniversary and my husband was going to kill me if I spent one more night working on this computer. :tazz:

parag

parag

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WHAT AN EFFORT dude!...I had this problem for months and doesnt want to format my disk for this thing but it bothered me everyday...U rock man! :tazz: :) :( :( ;)

Cajun55

Cajun55

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been following everyones tip and tricks. The one tat worked for me was replacing comctl32.dll wit the larger one and rebooting. Thanks to all for there efforts and perseverance.