Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer reboots before login (Windows XP)

• Please log in to reply

Kaii

Kaii

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Since yesterday, I've been unable to do anything with my computer as whenever I start it up, it gets to the 'windows is loading' screen and then reboots. I've tried loading it with the last good configuration but it still restarts, and I've tried loading it in safe mode but again, it only gets to the black 'safe mode' cornered screen, then reboots.

A friend suggested that it could be a heat problem, as it has been known to overheat before (it's a laptop), but even starting it from cold makes no difference, it's just stuck in this loop. I haven't had any error messages. I have looked through this forum and seen suggestions to run something with the XP CD, but I haven't actually got one, as the company who supplied the computer never provided one.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what happened before this began? Windows update?

Kaii

Kaii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nothing really- except that it switched itself off the last time I used it possibly due to overheating, but although I know that's not ideal, it has happened before and I've never had problems getting it going again once it's been allowed to cool down. I haven't updated, downloaded anything, or even added any new programs for quite a while now.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the problem with a pc shutting down like that is that your pc always has processes running in the background--often important processes that are accessing the registry.

You're registry could be corrupt, or you could have developed a hardware problem. It's difficult to say given the info we have.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

This is a KB article on dealing with a corrupt registry, which might help, but you need a recovery console.

You can download a self-contained recovery console here:

http://www.tweakxp.c...icle153115.aspx

It is not an easy process, though.

Do you have a restore cd, or restore partition?

Kaii

Kaii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I don't have either. I'm guessing I download the file you posted and burn it to CD? If I can get it to run, will it (hopefully) save the files I had? Also is there any risk that I could make things worse if I get something in the process wrong?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never had to deal with anything like this before.

Edited by Kaii, 26 June 2005 - 07:07 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you actually burn the file AS a cd (not to a cd).

I have to go right now, but you need to look up how to burn an ISO IMAGE (google it).

most pc makers will give you a restore method....who made your pc?

Kaii

Kaii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was Tiny Computers UK (before they claimed to have shut down, taking my warranty with them).

I'll google the ISO IMAGE stuff and have a go with it. Thanks for your help.