Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install DSL....GRRR...

• Please log in to reply

Blueyedgirl

Blueyedgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
;)

Hello, everyone! I recently made the switch from dial-up to DSL (or rather I am *trying* to) and so the company sent me a package with modem, cables for USB or Ethernet, etc. The modem didn't have instructions that I saw, but in the end, I have it hooked up with all the proper lights on, and hooked to my computer. But my computer keeps telling me that it does not CANNOT detect any new hardware devices, and when I try to install it manually, the choices they give me seem to be all dialup speeds.

I am afraid I know just enough a computer to be dangerous ;) so I'd appreciate any help, advice, suggestions! I tried calling the 24/7 tech support...which happens to have office hours of 9-7 Mon-Thurs and 9-9 on Fri....to no avail. Your borad was recommended to me awhile back and now I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
who is your dsl from?
:tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The first thing I would do would be to remove the phone line from the modem and plug it into a phone. Do you have a dialtone?

Are you using an ethernet cable? Don't use usb.

Blueyedgirl

Blueyedgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My DSL modem has the name StarSmart on it, while the operating manuals have Pacific Star Communications on them. The service is offered through my local Ntelos phone company (bundled with phone). ;)

I am connected using the Ethernet cables included with the package- they sent USB as well but it wouldn't work either.

So I am somehwat confused. The modem has ports labeled DSL, Phone and LAN ,and as far as I can tell I have them connected correctly. I feel that they are connected to the computer correctly as well but it doesn't seem to be able to find the modem.

Should the phone be hooked from the modem to the jack? Or should the modem be hooked to the computer which is hooked to the jack? I hope I am not confusing anyone else but I have confused ME. ... :tazz:

Blueyedgirl

Blueyedgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Correction: my modem has ports labeled USB, LAN and DSL, with a port marked CONSOLE blocked over, and the power supply.

I have the Ethernet cable in the LAN slot and the phone line in the DSL slot- these are the only cords that would fit where they did ;) . The USB slot is empty. I also have the power supply connected to it. :tazz:

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
It sounds like you have all the cables right. In most cases you need to setup your modem. Now most dsl companys send you a cd that does this for you. If you do not have this cd then you would need to set it up manually. Make sure that you have the lights on that need to be. I'll gave you the steps to get you going on doing this.
1) start internet expolorer (most likly you will get page can not be found)
2) in the address put 192.168.1.1 (click go)
3) most of the time it will ask you for username and password most of the time its.
user name admin password password if it ask you to change this make it username admin and admin for password
4) you will need the info. that it ask for like your dsl provider you user name and password.
5) on most of the pages just leave what is in there and click to move on.
when you get done with all the pages your dsl should be working.
If you don't think you can do this maybe we can work something out so we can be talking when you do this.
:tazz:

Blueyedgirl

Blueyedgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply!

They did indeed send me a CD but I get an error message when it scans the disk. So I will try to set it up manually....

I am going to try the steps you gave me, and see if I can do this. If not, I will definately let you know and we can go from there.

Thank you again for your help. I am grateful and humbled by your willingness to help me :tazz:

(love the Taz, he's too cool)

Blueyedgirl

Blueyedgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You are a GENIUS!!!!! I am up and running, full speed ahead!!!!

I can't thank you enough for your help, Taz!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I'm so glad I could help you ;) Get your DSL up and running I know your going to love the speed over dail-up. :tazz:
Thank you for the nice words.
;)