Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Constant Crashing

• Please log in to reply

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I checked the temp and it was showing up at 50, so it can't be overheating. I can't find anywhere to download memtest32 from though, so could you recommend anywhere or another program.

Advertisements

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
You can download a copy here:
http://hcidesign.com...t/download.html

When your system is working hard, it heats up ultra fast. Did it crash @ 50 degrees?

Some systems are set at low thresholds temp wise. I.e. your system could be set to shutdown at 60 degrees and should be adjusted to a higher temp. Does your system just turn off or does it blue screen?

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
See the thing is, my computer doesn't always crash when it's working hard. It could crash anytime. When it crashes, it just freezes. Also if my system had a low temp threshold wouldn't it always have crashed since I had it.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, just ran Memtest and that crashed aswell.

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Oh it just freezes? How far did you get through your memory tester? Have you run a scandisk on your hard drive?

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
What do you mean by scandisk? I know I probably sound like an idiot, it's just I might have already done it.

Edited by jamieb17, 14 August 2005 - 10:29 AM.

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, I meant chkdsk. Goto My Computer, Right click properties on c drive, tools, then perform error checking. Automatically fixing errors and attempting to recover data.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, I ran the chkdsk, and it crashed at about 38% I think.

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Try running it again and see if it crashes in the same spot. I assume the computer restarted and ran the chkdsk correct? If so, I would strongly suspect the hard drive is going bad.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
What if it is, what will that mean?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jamieb17...

Click "Start" then "Run"...type chkdsk /f /r (Note the spaces before the /) and press "Enter"...Type Y to confirm for next boot...press "Enter" and reboot.

This will take about an hour (providing your machine will run that long...this is during boot, though) and it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank...do not interupt this operation.
When it gets back to the Desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be back as they should be. This will not affect your data or installed programs.

Please keep us informed on your progress...

wannabe1

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
What will that do though, will I know if anythings changed?

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK ran chkdsk, it crashed at stage 4, 14%.

jamieb17

jamieb17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
This is really starting to annoy me now, i've just tried burning a CD and that crashed. It seems like I can't do anything now without it crashing. Has anyone got any idea what is wrong?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
did you install anything on your computer before this happened?